Thread: Who's good with Olds Motors ?

kendogdb
    19 ft Tahiti Berkley pump. Anyone know who can build a short block ? Motor originally built by Mondello. Now has spun rod bearing. Motor built with a Mondello main bearing girdle, eagle h-beam rods, nodular iron crank, roller cam, edelbrock all out competion heads by mondello, block & heads o-ringed, single plane intake and holley dominator carb. We are in so cal. Please dont say mondello or GS marine.

SPECTRABRENT
    Call Lirones Motorsport in Tujunga, Ca.
    818-951-1883.
    SpectraBrent

Old Charger
    Purely out of curiosity.... Why not Mondello or GS?

Leon
    MONDELLO is THE MAN with Olds stuff. He's been around as long as dirt and they are still racing an Olds stocker if I am not mistaken.

kendogdb
    Hi all thanx for posting replies..........
    spectrabrent do they have a website ?
    Old Charger......like i said Mondello built this motor about 3 years ago first year we had trouble blowing head gaskets we could run about 2 hours and pop goes the head gaskets we were changing head gaskets just about every weekend. we tried a variety of gaskets copper composite any gasket that mondello told us to use.mondello basically said we werent doing a good job of replacing the head gaskets so we drove to mondellos 4 times to have him replace the gaskets with the same results......pop goes the head gaskets. we finally got the gasket problem fixed by o-ringing the heads & block. next problem was the front cam bearing spun which meant we saw no oil pressure showing up at the gauge. trip 5 to mondellos. after the cam bearing problem was fixed we went to the lake and after 20 min of running we heard the rod knocking.
    GS Marine........we had him balance & blueprint the jet when we got it back it only turned about 5000 rpms mondello told us to run around 5500 so we went back to GS Marine Greg came out of his shop with a small screwdriver reached behind the dash turned the adjustment up on the tach and told us now it will run 5500...lol...bet you didnt know that with this small adjustment you can increase rpms
    Leon....I agree that Joe M & lynn W do know thier stuff about Olds motors.....in the car world.....not to sure they are hip to the marine environment.The workmanship on the heads,intake & carb is excellent just wish it would stay together.Yes they still have the V.O.Twister I saw it at the shop last year.
    P.S. did you know that besides Mondello Performance Products Joe is also Pigme Goat Farmer

SPECTRABRENT
    NO web site. Just give them a call 818 951-1883. If I were you I would replace the Olds with a Big Block Chevy.
    Brent

kendogdb
    spectrabrent.......funny you say that we just happen to have a b & m 420 megablower with superchiller and a set of merlin steel heads from a teague 509......we thought about that option but the boat already had the olds and the it would probably would cost more with all the accesories than to fix the olds.....in case your wondering this boat is something we only work on once in a great while....we are busy playing with the 26 ft howard cat that is at teague right now getting a blower shop 10:71 and a set of aluminum brodix heads.......(thats where the b & m 420 & heads came from) I dont own either 1 of the boats but i really miss the Tahiti. Although the howard puts you higher on the food chain there is nothing like the sound, smell & sight of a roller cammed naturally aspirated racing gas running jet boat throwing a monster rooster tail....lol...Weve been towed in with both boats.....twice in 2 years with the jet for motor problems........twice in 1 year with the cat for broken drives.........guess ya just cant win..........