Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ford 460 Heads

Unchained
    I've been reading your discussion on turbo's. They are fun to work with because they can build so much more boost than a roots blower. When I used to run sand drags everyone ran turbo's and you couldn't find anyone running a roots blower. As much power as I have built into my boat it can't hold a candle to the performance I had with the sand drag buggy with a turbo.
    850 lb. buggy
    1800 cc honda car engine totally stock
    750 holley DP carb
    turbo running 28 lbs. boost
    0 - 80 mph in 5 sec. in 300 ft.
    And I wasn't one of the fast guys.
    When the turbo spooled up it was like two more engines came in, Major acceleration.
    I wish now that I had gone turbo's rather
    than a blower on my 540 Arias engine. At 35% over drive on a 8-71 I am only building 14lbs boost at 5,800 rpm.
    As far as the water injection I ran that years ago also and it worked well but no one uses that anymore. They just richen up the secondary mixture enough to prevent detonation. If your turbos are only making 8 lbs. and you have no wastegate they are probably oversized to prevent them making too much pressure. If you go to smaller turbo's and wastegates you will build boost faster and bypass the excess.
    I would think you need two carbs. I hope your turbo setup is a draw through and not a blow through as the ones that blow the pressure into the carb are very low performance.
    Sorry about the rambling on.

Beavertim
    Unchained,
    I too was introduced to turbos in a car (not a sand rail, and no where near 28 lbs of boost). I took on a hobby project of putting a turbo on my 2055 cc 914 engine. I put the hole thing together myself (including welding exhaust). The wastegate is set to limit boost at 13 psi and I have a hobbs switch triggered NOS fuel solenoid to add fuel above ~ 7 psi. I did have to put in a 911 clutch to hold the torque. It's a real fun car to accelerate in, but it doesn't idle real well (I think due to carb-to-turbo manifold icing, I need to run an oil circulator around that manifold to heat it). I'm runnung a Weber sidedraft pull-through system. It was quite a project getting it all to fit in the 914 compartment!
    As far as my boat goes, the boost is limited by blow off valves that reroute the A/F mixture back into the carb. They are set at 8 psi. I could plug them for more boost or get stiffer springs. I havn't tried either yet. Tim

Beavertim
    The primaries have #72 jets and a 8.5 in Hg power valve. Would boost referencing both blocks cause any problems? Would that be better for fuel economy?
    I think I will take a vacuum guage with me this weekend and do some measurements between the carb and turbos for various conditions. Any other suggestions. Thanks Tim

Tim, The pri. seem a little lean for your application. 72s are stock jetting for a 750 Holley. [list#3310] As I posted above I would boost reference the pri. only, block the sec P/V and jet up depending on what diameter the pvcr holes are in the sec. metering block. You might want to try a pair of 74-75s in the pri. and a pair of 82-85s in the sec. When in doubt jet rich, all you will hurt is a set of plugs, if you jet lean you may hurt alot more than plugs. My 850 c/s is jetted 84/pri. with 6.5 p/v and .076" pvcr and 94 sec. no p/v. Seems to run pretty good. Plugs color well, no audible detonation and no signs of it on the plugs. I have had some problems with pre-ignition in the past but since I took 2 deg of timing out of it and raised the float level 1/8" I haven't had that problem since. BTW, I have in the past run a 50/50 mix of 110 racing and pump 92. Next summer I will run 100% 110 ERC as the pump octane has dropped a point and is getting inconsistent and also I'm getting tired of mixing the stuff. Hope this helps, Bob

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234