Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self installed DirecTv

Boozer
    The installer flaked on me today so i went to circuit city and got the equipment myself.
    I have everything up and set the elevation and tilt on the dish to the stuff specified byu the setup. However, I dont have a copmpass to get the azimuth set right. Anyone know what to do to get this thing running?

racecar.hotshoe
    do like I did find some one on your street and look at theres.......

NorCal Gameshow
    start the dish pointing south and move it until you get a signal..crude but it worked for me :wink:

hondajoey
    if you get a cheap compass its easy to get the azmuth set close,
    when you move the dish make real small movements and let it sit for a second before you move it agian, and make sure you have the RG6 cable from the dish to the box

GlastronGuy
    On my old dish, the elevation was marked on the bracket.
    As far as azmuith, do like the others said and move the dish while someone waches the signal meter on the TV.

Boozer
    Do you guys get signal from all 3 of the satelites?

GlastronGuy
    I had a single LNB.

racecar.hotshoe
    Do you guys get signal from all 3 of the satelites?
    Nope

mickeyfinn
    Get a compass. It can be a real cheapee. Look at neighbors to make sure you are reading the compass correctly. Don't know if you are swapping out your cable or not but you have to run a seperate cable for the direct because of the way direct works. The signal is a much higher frequency than cable splitters use and they will screw the pooch. Once you have the signal its cake. Just follow the instructions, shouldn't take more than a half hour to get it all working. You should at least go back to direct and spring for a dual LNB dish. At least that way you can get two TV's working if you want to later without buying the expensive splitters and joiners.

Boozer
    Its a 3 LNB. I just found a satelite with it but it says wrong satelite. Where can i get a cheap compass?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast