Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Self installed DirecTv

MagicMtnDan
    Get a simple compass (probably at OSH or Sears or Sport Chalet) and go online for the satellite locations.
    I did it myself and the only hard part is getting someone who can help you by looking at the TV calling out the readouts (settings).

Boozer
    Get a simple compass (probably at OSH or Sears or Sport Chalet) and go online for the satellite locations.
    I did it myself and the only hard part is getting someone who can help you by looking at the TV calling out the readouts (settings).
    Person in the house is on the home phone im climbing around the roof with my cell phone. Pat's (CEO) lending me a compass so it should make life much easier.

Cheap Thrills
    a good watch and your shadow will tell you which way is north.
    or heres the cheapest compass you can get without leaving the house
    WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
    1 sewing needle
    1 magnet (maybe there is one on the refrigerator)
    1 bowl of water
    1 small piece of paper
    WHAT TO DO?
    Stroke the dull end of a needle across the magnet 60 times, going in the same direction each time.
    Now place the small piece of paper on top of the water in the center of the bowl. Set the needle on top of the paper and gently move the paper to cause it to spin slightly. Make sure there is no metal near by (does the table you are working on have metal on it or under it?) Also make sure the magnet you used to magnetize the needle is at least 2 feet away from the bowl. If the paper gets stuck to the side of the bowl, gently nudge it toward the center again.
    Now, wait. What is happening? When the needle and paper have stopped moving completely, the sharp end of the needle is pointing north. You can prove this compass is really pointing north by setting a manufactured compass nearby. Don't set the two compassed too close to each other because they will interfere with each other.
    C.T. :wink:

ROZ
    Person in the house is on the home phone im climbing around the roof with my cell phone. Pat's (CEO) lending me a compass so it should make life much easier.
    Holy sheit! Run while you can if Pat is your neighbor... LMAO!!!
    I did what Glastron Guy did....

jenndon
    Boozer...make sure your on satellite A 101 deg and transponder 1 for a true signal reading......

Boozer
    Wow! I did not know MacGeyver was on the boards...
    Needless to say I have a compass Thanks to Pat. I'll have this bad boy up and running tomorrow.
    a good watch and your shadow will tell you which way is north.
    or heres the cheapest compass you can get without leaving the house
    WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
    1 sewing needle
    1 magnet (maybe there is one on the refrigerator)
    1 bowl of water
    1 small piece of paper
    WHAT TO DO?
    Stroke the dull end of a needle across the magnet 60 times, going in the same direction each time.
    Now place the small piece of paper on top of the water in the center of the bowl. Set the needle on top of the paper and gently move the paper to cause it to spin slightly. Make sure there is no metal near by (does the table you are working on have metal on it or under it?) Also make sure the magnet you used to magnetize the needle is at least 2 feet away from the bowl. If the paper gets stuck to the side of the bowl, gently nudge it toward the center again.
    Now, wait. What is happening? When the needle and paper have stopped moving completely, the sharp end of the needle is pointing north. You can prove this compass is really pointing north by setting a manufactured compass nearby. Don't set the two compassed too close to each other because they will interfere with each other.
    C.T. :wink:

CEO
    Well are you watching DTV yet?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12