Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subwoofer help...

essexjet
    Santa brought me three JL audio 10w1v2-8 for christmas. My question is that they are 8 ohms subs. What does that mean? Would I benefit exchanging them for the 4 ohms? Also I'm thinking about running the JL 500/1 mono to them, is that going to be ok.
    BTW these are going into an 04 Superduty.
    Thanks
    http://mobile.jlaudio.com/images/8556.jpg

rivercrazy
    8 ohm speakers are almost always for home audio stuff. Sure they are 8 ohm?
    Are they dual voice coil?

rivercrazy
    If they are truely 8 ohm single voice coil. Wire em up in parallel. This configuration will maximize amp output.
    What are are the subs rated for in terms of watts?

sigepmock
    I agree if they are 8ohms trade them for 4 ohm ones, this gives you a little more room to play with the set-up. Your best bet is to talk to Dave at Al & Ed's in Ontario, he set up 2 JL 10's in my last truck that ran off a JL 500/1 and they hit pretty hard.
    I'm running two 12's in the new truck of the jl500/1 and I love it. Great sub amp with lots of adjustability. The 10's aren't bad either. :crossx:
    Give me a call and we can talk specifics or we'll just talk in Glamis this weekend
    Chris

ROZ
    Speakers are available in 2, 4, 6, 8, and sometimes 12 ohms. Not too much variation these days due to dvc's ability to provide various wiring, but they're still available...
    2,4,8 are still the most common...
    parallel will get you 4 ohms... get 2 more and you'll get down to 2ohms
    Those are perfect for an amp that puts out 300 watts at 4ohms.... I'd stick with them for good clean sound... It should be a good combo for what you have.. The amp puts out the same power between 1.5 and 4 ohms...

essexjet
    They are for sure the 8 ohms, dual voice coil sub (looking at them right now).
    So ROZ should I keep the 8 ohms and run a 500/1 amp?

sigepmock
    Dual voice coils.....then when wired they act like 2 speakers each so you really have (6) 8 ohm speakers so wire them all parrallel and feed them with the JL 500/1. You should be good to go!!! Check my math Roz...4 and 4 gets you two ohms add another 4 ohms...split the difference and you get 3 ohms???
    Now all you need is a PIMP A$$ box for them behind the seat and party time!!!

essexjet
    Dual voice coils.....then when wired they act like 2 speakers each so you really have (6) 8 ohm speakers so wire them all parrallel and feed them with the JL 500/1. You should be good to go!!! Check my math Roz...3 ohms
    Chris you can explain this to me this weekend and as for the pimp ass box, dont think I can do much with 6" of space behind the seat

h2oski2fast
    Dual voice coils.....then when wired they act like 2 speakers each so you really have (6) 8 ohm speakers so wire them all parrallel and feed them with the JL 500/1. You should be good to go!!! Check my math Roz...4 and 4 gets you two ohms add another 4 ohms...split the difference and you get 3 ohms???
    The nominal (with out any movement) impeadance of the speakers wired like you say would be 1.33 ohms, not sure if the amp can handle that load.

ROZ
    10w1v2 's are single voice coil ..... 10w3v2's are dvc....
    I didn't see you have 3 speakers... you now have a 2.66ohm load (nominal ) when wired parellel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast