Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Question: Private Schools vs Public Schools......

RiverOtter
    Since most of you peeps are West Coasters I am curious. Do you put your kids (elementary age) in public or private schools? I am in TN and our public schools are ranked at the bottom of US and worse than that the county I live in is ranked at the bottom of the list in TN. That means our public schools are the worst in the Nation!!!! I spend $20,000+ per year on my 2 kids for freakin elementary education. Not to mention our property taxes are 2 times the national average!!! Our public schools are so bad that over 30% of the kids in our county are in private schools. What is it like out there? Are we unique?

MRS FLYIN VEE
    I don't know what we rank on the list of public schools.. but we do put our kids in private school here.. they go to a christian school. The education they get at the school is very high and they are actually way above average compared to public here. :shift:

Waist Deep
    Our daughter who is 9 goes to a private christian school here in H.B.. Fourth Grader and is way ahead of friends in a public school.
    Had been asking the public schooler some spelling @ the river this past weekend and could not spell for s###. Whale ???? Thats wrong. Shoot, she could not even get past the first four letters of television. Granted, the parents have alot to do with it, but these schools here suck.

MsDrmr
    I went to a public school, as does my son. To be honest, I find there is less that goes on in a public school than a private school, they just have a way to keep everything hush hush.
    If money were no option, I would keep my son in public school and if needed hire a private tutor for the extra one on one attention that he may need.

simple
    As a product of the Private School system, I know many of the pros & cons:
    PROS:
    1/ Most students can add, subtract multiply & divide in their heads thru the times tables.
    2/ Most can write a story knowing there is an Introduction, Body & Close paragraphs in that order.
    3/ Most learn to respect authority
    4/ Most go onto college but that doesn't mean they will finish
    5/ Excellent School Unity even thru their Alumni programs
    CONS:
    1/ Don't have the financial resources to set up nice PC labs & Science labs.
    2/ Don't have the wide array of Sports programs
    3/ Sometimes have lay (un-educated) teachers
    4/ Sometimes the kids can't cope with the cruel social life after they get out.
    Private schools will generally attract a more affluent families.

Kilrtoy
    That would all depend on what public school system you are talking about
    LAUSD SUCKS

XtrmWakeborder
    I went to the same private school from nursery to 8th grade, I would say the early years of a childs life say kindergarten through 6th grade would be best spent at a private school to get a good foundation due to the smaller class sizes "more individual attention", Morals and religion "if your the religious type", and most deffinately better spelling and grammar. Math and science however i find to be about the same or lower in the private school i went to. The reason i say to put them into public school in 7th and 8th grade is to make more friends that will eventually go to highschool and make it more fun. This is just my recent experience and what i will do with my kids.

RiverOtter
    So maybe I am not unique then. Most of the responces have been private schools. Are most of you spending $9,000 to $10,000 per kid?

XtrmWakeborder
    So maybe I am not unique then. Most of the responces have been private schools. Are most of you spending $9,000 to $10,000 per kid?
    My parents paid about 20k per kid for both me and my sister, but i was there for 13 years.

billet racing
    I went through Private Chatholic school from 1st through Senior in high school. Wife went to the pubil school nearby. she would not put our kids through the public school. Was rated very poorly at the time. They did get better, but are on a downturn again. All 5 kids went to the same schools I did. Even some of the same teachers. We are still active in the schools, and volunteer our time.
    My opinion. The private schools are better, have disipline and control of the kids. Smaller, and can give the kids more attention. Can a child make it through public school? Yes, but must have parental involvement. If left on thier own, they will struggle and there are too many temptations out there.
    It helps when you go to a top rated school. I attended De Le Salle.
    Ironically, back then we did not admit we were on the football team. We sucked.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast