Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Question: Private Schools vs Public Schools......

MRS FLYIN VEE
    I went to the same private school from nursery to 8th grade, I would say the early years of a childs life say kindergarten through 6th grade would be best spent at a private school to get a good foundation due to the smaller class sizes "more individual attention", Morals and religion "if your the religious type", and most deffinately better spelling and grammar. Math and science however i find to be about the same or lower in the private school i went to. The reason i say to put them into public school in 7th and 8th grade is to make more friends that will eventually go to highschool and make it more fun. This is just my recent experience and what i will do with my kids.
    this is a very true statement and I will have to agree.. our school goes to 6th grade then they have a continuation of it in the valley.. But we have also decided it would be best to put them in public through junior high and high school.. do to the fact of more friends and so on.. we have 2 yrs till then and hopefully the school will not be so bad.. around here it is not a very good school.. it is not like it was when I was there. I hate for them to grow up but I have to let them.

bilgewiper
    I spend a combined $600 a month to send both my 3rd and 8th grader to a private Christian school and it's worth every penny to me. We will see in a few years if it was worth it to them.

572Daytona
    We put our oldest daughter in private school a couple of years ago when she was entering 6th grade. It is expensive but she has gotten many more opportunities that weren't available to her in public school, for example she was part of a program that got to take the SAT test as a 7th grader (and she beat the graduating senior average). She's also hanging around with a much better group of kids as well, in public school she was pretty much ridiculed and picked on by fellow classmates for being an academic achiever, in the new school she has friends that are encouraging her to acheive. It is definitely not cheap, but living where I do in Georgia, I figure the lower property taxes that I pay help somewhat to compensate for that. I just wish they allowed a tax deduction for private school. I don't understand why your taxes are so high in Tennessee? Is it the area that you are in? I know there are some bad spots in Georgia as well, especially those in some of the suburban Atlanta areas
    Edit, just want to mention that we are spending 12K for tuition and closer to 15K per year when you factor in bus transportation, books, field trips, etc. The school were she goes gets more expensive as she gets to higher grades, it started out closer to 10K.

eliminatedsprinter
    It depends on a number of factors. Why are the schools in your area bad. Is there a lot of crime etc???
    I live in LA and our district sucks, but the individual schools in our neighborhood are great, so my son just finished at our local public school where he did fine. He is now in 6th grade and the only complaint I have re his middle school is they give him to much homework :coffeycup His teacher for english and social studies claims that she only gives 20 min for each subject. But when I help him I find it is stuff that would have taken me a couple of hours to do when I was in college and I graduated with honers...

spectratoad
    My kids go to a private parochial school. They seem to be doing well. I have never actively sought a comparison but I know the follow on high school averages in the 90% area for kids that go on to college.
    I think most of the thing is parental involvement. I also enjoy the uniforms that we have in our school. Just blue pants and white polo's. Nothing tacky but it sure limits the unneccessary fashion competitions that you see in public schools.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
    i gone to pryvate skool furst threw hi-skool and i aint as dum as dem guys dat gone to publick skools. i den went to a pryvate colage and it cost a grip. and i still aint as dum as dos guys dat went to publick skoolz. and i got me a job, and i got me a house, and i got me a boat dat flotes. i gotta borrow a car to pull it, but dats no problem, my friend digs ditches and puts da dirt in da back of a truck so we just take dat one. he went to public skool.
    Seriously though, i did go to private school and am sending my daughter to private school. we are fortunate enough to have a public school system in orange county that is in the top 1 or 2 percent in the nation so if something were to happen that would cause us to pull her out of private, the education level would still be excellent. and the main reason we chose private is that i went to private and do not know any better. i think that the best lesson i learned in private school was respect. i had lousy grades and our sports teams sucked, but i respect myself and other people and to me, that is the best characteristic a person can have. you will learn what you learn over the course of your life and if i can't do geometry or build an engine, so be it.

Debbolas
    I work at a very good public school.
    In fact we moved to this neighborhood because the school district is so good.
    President Bush's "No Child Left Behind" act tightens the requirements to teach public school. With funding and training for teachers and tutors.
    My job is to teach the kids that fall through the cracks in our school system. Maybe their parents don't read to them, maybe they have an undiagnosed learning disability, maybe they have a horrible homelife and schoolwork is the last thing on their mind. I love my job, because I can see the improvement with the kids I work with.
    Everyone needs to do what is right for their child.

Kilrtoy
    I compare the teachers now a days to the police department, They are there just picking up a paycheck, could care less about there job. Atleast in L.A. They are burned out overburdened and unsupported by the upper level and parents....

Mandelon
    After discussion with my wife about this issue 5 years ago, we decided to move. The local school just wasn't that great. I liked the house and the payments were cheap.
    But, you do what is right for the kids. So after realizing it would cost us $10,000 to $20,000 a year in addition to the property taxes, we decided it would be better to put that money towards a house payment instead.
    The kids are now in 4th and 5th grade in a much better school. My son made it into the advanced classes with the other little braniacs so he has a small class of the same 15 kids and get extra attention. My daughter is not as advanced I guess, but she definitely has better people skills.
    I think they will get a more rounded social and educational experience in public schools. More exposure to different types of people should be an advantage.
    Many of the kids I grew up with attended private Catholic schools. A lot of them turned out to have drug problems, and several died and spent time in jail. Its not a cure all. The parents have so much to do with it. How important time is spent with them early on reading and playing with them instead of TV and videogames.....

TrojanDan
    It helps when you go to a top rated school. I attended De Le Salle.
    Ironically, back then we did not admit we were on the football team. We sucked.
    Sorry to see them lose a couple of weeks ago. I guess when you're as good as De Le Salle, you have to travel out of state to play some of the best HS football programs. I saw De Le Salle play Mater Dei at Anaheim Stadium about 6 years ago and I thought I was watching a college football team.
    About public vs. private school, I went through 13 years of private Catholic school, 5 of them at an all boy High School/Jr.College. I still thank my mom to this day for working three jobs to send me there. No way I would send my kids (if I had any) to public school.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast