Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Bravo 1 info

Rev. Williams
    Long story short, I have water coming in my boat (22 Daytona) and after 2 weeks in a boat shop the hull has been given a 100% perfect bill of health. No cracks, holes, bad scratches or spider cracks that could let water in. So after all is said and done, I have to be pulling water in from somewhere, and the I/O unit is the only thing that can do that.
    I know very little on Bravo 1's but I do know that the main water line on the hub to my impellar is not leaking and is in my main bilge anyways, (which does not get any water in it). So is there anything else in a I/O that pulls water in?
    I'm getting a lot of water (in the gallons range) in my drivers side sponson and I'm now at a loss of where it's coming in.
    I need help !!

Speedin' Ian
    probably have a crack in your belows, I believe it can also leak where the shift cable goes through the hull. If it is coming through the belows you need to address it ASAP because the water will ruin the u-joint and main bearing. One thing you can do to check is tilt the drive all the way up and squeeze the below and listen for air escaping, also you can usually see a stain from where the water has been leaking back out after pulling the boat out of the water.

Rev. Williams
    probably have a crack in your belows, I believe it can also leak where the shift cable goes through the hull. If it is coming through the belows you need to address it ASAP because the water will ruin the u-joint and main bearing. One thing you can do to check is tilt the drive all the way up and squeeze the below and listen for air escaping, also you can usually see a stain from where the water has been leaking back out after pulling the boat out of the water.
    Thanks for the reply.... But if water was coming in anywhere near the main hub it would all pour into my main center bilge area, and none is. The drive was just given a full service and this water issues was there before and after the service.

Havasu Hangin'
    Did they check the tightness of the gimball housing bolts?

phebus
    Since it's coming in on a sponson side, have you checked the exhaust for plumbing leaks, or the transom where the exhaust passes through?

Rev. Williams
    Since it's coming in on a sponson side, have you checked the exhaust for plumbing leaks, or the transom where the exhaust passes through?
    All of that is clear. I've removed and resealed everything on the transom. You can also see when the boat is in the water that no water comes in around anything on the transom, even at speed.
    Did they check the tightness of the gimball housing bolts?
    If it leaked at the Gimball, wouldn't it run down the transom and into the main bilge? I get zero water in the main bilge.

Havasu Hangin'
    If it leaked at the Gimball, wouldn't it run down the transom and into the main bilge? I get zero water in the main bilge.
    Unless it was getting into the transom wood, and leaking out a bolt hole. Been there...done that.

Havasu47
    Aside from leaking throught the transom like HH said, if it is only in the sponson, check areas that get wet when the boat is getting on plane or sprayed while under way. fuel fills, gas vents, bilge vents, rub rail, etc. We have chased these types of water leaks and they are hard to find.
    Good luck.

Rev. Williams
    Aside from leaking throught the transom like HH said, if it is only in the sponson, check areas that get wet when the boat is getting on plane or sprayed while under way. fuel fills, gas vents, bilge vents, rub rail, etc. We have chased these types of water leaks and they are hard to find.
    Good luck.
    This is my next plan of attack.... All the interior will be removed from the left side and I'm checking everything.

phebus
    I would hop in the boat at night, and have someone walk the whole left sponson with a flashlight, and see if I could see light coming through. If it's a big leak like you said, I'd bet you'd see light around one of your fittings, or at the bond line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast