Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prop pitch or RPMs

jackpunx
    IÂ’m trying to figure out what causes less stress for a drive.
    so if I go with a lower pitch prop it will accelerate harder and I can get my top end out of the RPMs..
    or do I go with a taller prop and loose a little acceleration and go with less rpms to gain my top speed.
    Which one of these puts the least amount of stress on the drive?
    I have heard that I will put more torque on the drive if I run a taller prop.
    I hope IÂ’m asking the question correctly
    thanks
    Mark

don johnson
    You got it right. More prop, more load on the drive.

jackpunx
    You got it right. More prop, more load on the drive.
    thanks .. Did you ever get your boat sorted out?

RACER52
    does the gear ratio change that??
    I understood the same that a bigger wheel would stress the drive more.
    But when you put 1.25 gears and lets say a 26p than thats equals like a 30 or 32p prop with 1.36's or 1.50's.
    so whats your thoughts on that?
    Racer

jackpunx
    does the gear ratio change that??
    I understood the same that a bigger wheel would stress the drive more.
    But when you put 1.25 gears and lets say a 26p than thats equals like a 30 or 32p prop with 1.36's or 1.50's.
    so whats your thoughts on that?
    Racer
    good question.. so gears or props .. I have heard that low gears and low p props
    but I would love other information from someone else.
    thanks

don johnson
    Bottom line is that the more gear and/or propeller pitch you carry, the more you will load the drive. I have heard Teague speak on this subject and he said that a boat seems to be happier with higher gear and more propeller. In other words, if you have 1.5 gears, stay with them until you max propeller pitch availability. Only move down gear ratio to 1.36 or 1.25 from 1.50 when you are beyond propeller pitch availability.
    Example; In my boat I run 1.33 gears (B Max) and 37 pitch Bravo's (labbed 36's). I am constantly hurting drives, primarily carrier and upper bearings, due to the load. I hurt a brand new drive this year just cruising, which sucks, but speaks to the amount of load on the drive with big gears and big propellers.
    Hope this answers the question.

don johnson
    thanks .. Did you ever get your boat sorted out?
    JP, not sure which problem you are in reference...
    Fixed the drive that broke but then found out during a routine spark plug change that I squeezed a head gasket, which I have not fixed yet. I pumped the water out of the cylinder and rinsed it with Marvel. I am pulling both motors in late December to freshen. Also making a cam changes from Hydraulic Roller to Solid Rollers to pick up a few HP's.
    So I am done for the season, which is fine, as the boat was due to go into insurance layup Dec 1 anyhow....

jackpunx
    [QUOTE=don johnson]Bottom line is that the more gear and/or propeller pitch you carry, the more you will load the drive. I have heard Teague speak on this subject and he said that a boat seems to be happier with higher gear and more propeller. In other words, if you have 1.5 gears, stay with them until you max propeller pitch availability. Only move down gear ratio to 1.36 or 1.25 from 1.50 when you are beyond propeller pitch availability.
    QUOTE]
    that means if I want to keep my gears I have to bump up to at least 1600hp to max out my prop availability.. j/k
    I have 124 gears and am running a 30.. Im bumping up to a 32 .. If money was not an object in theory I would be better off going to a 34 and running something like 1.36 ?

don johnson
    Yup.
    I have a LH and RH 33, (labbed 32), out in Parker if you want to try it first.
    I occasionally put the 33's on the Daytona in Parker. Makes the boat a lot more responsive and fun to drive on the river. Lots more acceleration!

hulshot
    I am thinking of going with 1.25 gears with a 28-30 and turning it to 6800-7000. Jthere I have rpm and gear and prop. wow what load that is going to be. Glad the boat is lighter than my last. I just hope it carries.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast