Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Best bang for buck 460 recipes?

core attitude
    IÂ’m looking to get some input on what some of you feel are good set ups or combos for an upcoming 460 jet boat motor build/rebuild. My present motor combo is unknown as the previous owner let the receipts fade and they are unreadable so I am looking for input irregardless of parts all ready owned. The only budget criteria for me is when the cost to achieve performance out weighs a reasonable expectation of reliability and longevity.
    my main points of interest are
    best bang for the buck - HP/TQ VS. $
    usability - reliability/longevity VS HP/TQ
    This is a 19Â’ family river jet boat that sees (and will continue to see) mostly part throttle (35-40 MPH) use with fairly frequent hard acceleration and the occasional full throttle high speed run. At this time it has run a best of 59.9 MPH GPS verified top speed with 5 adults, 1 full cooler and 20 Gal of fuel.
    I do know that this is a fairly subjective topic but I am looking to see what works for you and hopefully collect some real world results along the way to help take some of the trial and error out of the equation for my upcoming build.........and for the BowTie loyalists, no........I don't want to put a Chevy in it.
    Thanks, Pete

Bajajet
    I have a 501 that I'm quite happy with. Not too hard on the wallet either. PM me if you want the details of what's in it.

core attitude
    I have a 501 that I'm quite happy with. Not too hard on the wallet either. PM me if you want the details of what's in it.
    Thanks, sent you a PM.

Danhercules
    I am interested to see what Lakes Only will say. He helped me get some HP really cheep in my 460. I am approx 500 HP with a stock bottom end, head work, porting on the exhaust only, cam, timming gears. I am turning a "B" at 5500 RPM for a best os of yet 70MPH. I was doing some tuning as my summer went south. :cry:
    I truly belive that I will hit close to 75 when I get her running again and play more with the timming and jetting.

GM Killer
    I run a 460 with ported aluminum cobra jet heads, victor jr, 1050 dom, medium (in my opinion, maybe large by others) sized solid cam, 11.5:1 comp. With a good pump in a 19' hallett I ran 91 on radar at 6400rpm. PM me if you want more info.

core attitude
    I am interested to see what Lakes Only will say. He helped me get some HP really cheep in my 460. I am approx 500 HP with a stock bottom end, head work, porting on the exhaust only, cam, timming gears. I am turning a "B" at 5500 RPM for a best os of yet 70MPH. I was doing some tuning as my summer went south. :cry:
    I truly belive that I will hit close to 75 when I get her running again and play more with the timming and jetting.
    I expect some good input to be coming forth also. I have searched the past posts but would like to see some good info all in one place (thread). Good luck with your 75......I've been following your motor issues and am anxious to see what happens.
    P.S. I think the floating trailer confused your boat :jawdrop: ........if you ever want to sell it back let me know......I might go back to a single deck some day soon, it's a pain to work on the boat with the double decker.
    Pete

I don't know that you'd want to follow my lead, but here's what I have for a baseline.
    .030 over forged TRWs and D3 heads with mild port work, giving me approx 8.5:1 cr. CC 280h cam, Weiand Stealth intake, Proform converted Holley 750 dp, A impeller, Dooley 10 qt pan, stock oil pump, exhaust port matching, and Hardin logs.
    The only thing I would do differently (other than C8/9/D0VE heads) is flattops for another point in compression. This combination ALWAYS starts, runs reasonably well. 71.3 mph @ 4700 rpm.

Danhercules
    I expect some good input to be coming forth also. I have searched the past posts but would like to see some good info all in one place (thread). Good luck with your 75......I've been following your motor issues and am anxious to see what happens.
    P.S. I think the floating trailer confused your boat :jawdrop: ........if you ever want to sell it back let me know......I might go back to a single deck some day soon, it's a pain to work on the boat with the double decker.
    Pete
    You moved? Cool.
    I think 75 wont be that hard. I ran 70 with two peeps, and a ton of river gear. No loader either.
    I forgot to mention, I am at 10.3:1.

core attitude
    The only thing I would do differently (other than C8/9/D0VE heads) is flattops for another point in compression. This combination ALWAYS starts, runs reasonably well. 71.3 mph @ 4700 rpm.
    Thanks for the info, I've been watching your progress also and that is the type of thing that will save me time (and money) in the end.

core attitude
    You moved? Cool.
    Yep, I still have my place in OC but not for long. It looks like I'll be able to run my business from out here with out to much hassle so the 951 it is for me.
    Pete

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast