Thread: timing on 454 MPI

lovemyultra
    I changed my plugs and they seemed a bit too black, not oily and wet, just a little dark, enough to concern me.I was thinking timing, but going to the manual says you need to scan the ECU to put it in service mode, on a 2001 454 MPI to set the timing. Is this a viable tool to purchase? Do you have any other ideas what could be going on?

Kindsvater Flat
    I know on some of the cars and trucks that you can get into the service mode by disconnecting a single brn/blk wire. Then the base timing can be set. If you try to do it without going into a field service mode the pcm will compensate and then it will be way out.
    BTW if you have never touched the timing it should not have moved. Therefore no adjustment is needed. There might be a few degrees in the timing chain but not enough to worry about.
    I have not played with a marine application pcm so I do not know how they are scanned. Is there a simple code reader or are you going to use a mastertech, tech 2, or a snap on scanner?

DUCKY
    Kindsvater Flat:
    I know on some of the cars and trucks that you can get into the service mode by disconnecting a single brn/blk wire. Then the base timing can be set. If you try to do it without going into a field service mode the pcm will compensate and then it will be way out.
    BTW if you have never touched the timing it should not have moved. Therefore no adjustment is needed. There might be a few degrees in the timing chain but not enough to worry about.
    I have not played with a marine application pcm so I do not know how they are scanned. Is there a simple code reader or are you going to use a mastertech, tech 2, or a snap on scanner? The mercruiser EFI is not like this. It has to hooked up the the scanner (Mercury calls it the DDT) and you cannot buy one. I have used a snap-on scanner before and it did work, but that was more money than the Merc unit (and more confusing) Unless you have messed with the timing already, I would leave it alone. Most likely, the last time you ran it, it never got up to operating temp, and the computer was still letting it run enriched (cold). If you have already played with the timing, pay the $80 diagnostic time, and have a shop reset it.

lovemyultra
    Thanks for the reply I havent touched it but was trying to figure out the plug color it probably isnt as bad as I make it sound I am a worrier by nature THANKS AGAIN

SchellSchock
    If you are going to check plug color the only way to do it right is as follows:
    1. Warm until normal operating tempeture
    2. RTun to WOT while in gear,(as close as you can)
    3. Turn off igniton while under way.
    4. Disengage drive and flot to stop.
    5. Pull plug and look for light tan color.