Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Whale Tails on sterndrive

Mighty Thor
    I have inherited a set of Whale Tails that bolt onto the stern drive just above the propeller. Before I drill any holes I wanted to ask the panel whether these things are worthwhile. I have a 75 Sea Ray, 19 feet with a 233 mercruiser outdrive. I have read only the advertisements for these bolt on plastic pieces. Do they really do what the adds say?

cracker
    I have one on my boat 23 foot baja, it definately helps getting on plane and staying on plane but knoks about 5mph off the top end. This is my experience, I've had it for two years.

Mighty Thor
    I'm not really that worried about my top speed cause I tend to drive by RPM anyhow, but is this something that can be compensated for with a prop change. I intend to use this boat primarily as the "pull the kids on whatever they want to ride" rig so I need to be able to get up to 12 to 17 fairly quick but don't care if I ever see 40 with this boat.

75spectra
    You got plenty of power in that SeaRay, buy a smaller prop to "play" with. I'm in the marine service field and I HATE those whale tails.... its a "band-aid" for a improperly set up boat!?

Mighty Thor
    I should clarify that I have not had any trouble with the sea ray getting up on plane. I got these things cause the Guy across the street bought them and when he put them on his mercruiser the prop hit the screws. He got mad and told me if I wanted them I could have them. I don't really like the guy all that much so I didn't tell him that all he needed to do was turn the screws to point up. My Bad.

cracker
    indeed a band aid, I will be adding a blower to my engine this winter, I really dont like the look of it but I can honestly tell you they work, It allowed me to go up in pitch and still plane so that I could pull tubes and such. Also the prop didnt tend to blow out so bad......

TCHB
    Yes the do work just like hydraulic plates on the rear of the boat.

HP350SC
    They are junk. Toss in trash. If you're concerned with skiing and getting on plane buy a Merc. High-five. Sorry to be so blunt, but it's late and I'm going to bed! :smile:

switchin'addiction
    junk....if you don't need em' don't start drillin'. prop chang IMO does the same thing

mbrown2
    Mine work perfectly fine as they were intended....and they don't really look like Bandaids :hammerhea :2purples: :shift:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...CT0072-med.JPG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast