Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4 subs or 2??

syke-o
    The other thread by lhcvictory got me thinkin about adding 2 more 12's to the current set up or just upgrade the current sub set up with more power/diiferent enclosure. Unfortunately i dont have the exact specs on the subs.amps in front of me as the boat is in the shop right now. All i do know is the 2 12's are JL(just dont know the model) and the amp is Rockford(again dont know the model), and i am running 8 6x9's in a 22' Laser open bow.
    But in theory which would be the better way to go?
    I will try and post the specs on the equipment when i get the boat back...

Havasu Hangin'
    In theory, anytime you double the power or double the cone area, you will get 3 dbs more.
    Myself, I like to keep the bass/component ratio around 2-1, so if you have say 800 watts to the components, I'd run 1,600 watts to the subs.
    Having said that, I think you could put a couple high-end 12's in there (as long as they work in the current boxes) that will easily outrun those 8 components.

mbrown2
    HH said it right...2-1 for the subs is a good thing....also two high end 12"'s, right power, and right enclosures it should more then enough to provide large base to 8 6x9's..

ROZ
    HH said it right...2-1 for the subs is a good thing....also two high end 12"'s, right power, and right enclosures it should more then enough to provide large base to 8 6x9's..
    You mean like a pair of 12w6v2's in slot ported boxes :idea:

mbrown2
    Heck, I was satisfied with one of those, but two do sound good...I am sure they would not only hit, but hammer :hammer2:

MAINEVENT
    Are those JL's

mbrown2
    Are those JL's
    Yes, those are JL's....12W6

riverbound
    Syke-o
    Stick with 2 12's in your boat and just upgrade to better subs and more power.

Magic34
    If you are not adding more amps and batteries then stick with 2 and upgrade. However, if you are adding some more power(amps and batteries) then I am partial to 4.

syke-o
    thanks for all the input. The boat sounds ok as it is with the 2 12's, i was just looking for more... i think i will just upgrade the subs/enclosure/power instead of adding two more 12's..... so are the JL's listed above the way to go???

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast