Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4 subs or 2??

syke-o
    I would change the amp out and upgrade to a Rockford or JL 1000 watt mono (the rockford will be cheaper) ALso you should change your Kenwood 6X9s out to the Eclipse SE8493 (like we talked about last time). and add another 4 channel amp . And yes the boxes are right for the subs. I have ran 2 12w3s off of a 1000 watt amp many times and you will be very happy with the results. Let me know if you want anything and I will make sure you get taken care of.
    thanks again bill.... i will be visiting your shop in the near future for sure!! i appreciate your help...

cdog
    I've got two eclipse 12's with a Fosgate bd1000 amp and six 6.5 MB Quartz and my system sounds great. The box is sealed in the rear bench and it's loud and has lot's of bass. The high's amp is a fosgate 500 watt 4 way. I also run two marine optima/ blue tops for the stereo alone and can switch to all four optima's if I want. I think it better to use the best equipment you can get your hands on and then decide if you want more bass. It's all about the combo and equipment that works well together.
    My best friend had 2 12's in a 87 camaro that was the loudest thing i have ever heard. They were some old school JBL 12's with a crossfire amp in a huge box. The god damm thing would shake your filling's loose. And this was back in 1994.

syke-o
    I've got two eclipse 12's with a Fosgate bd1000 amp and six 6.5 MB Quartz and my system sounds great. The box is sealed in the rear bench and it's loud and has lot's of bass. The high's amp is a fosgate 500 watt 4 way. I also run two marine optima/ blue tops for the stereo alone and can switch to all four optima's if I want. I think it better to use the best equipment you can get your hands on and then decide if you want more bass. It's all about the combo and equipment that works well together.
    My best friend had 2 12's in a 87 camaro that was the loudest thing i have ever heard. They were some old school JBL 12's with a crossfire amp in a huge box. The god damm thing would shake your filling's loose. And this was back in 1994.
    thanks cdog... the thing is that i bought the boat with the current system and have only added the billet grills and had the boxes redone.... so i wont feel like i am wasting any money to take some of the stuff out and replace it....
    and back in 94 i had a couple 12" vegas in the hatch of my eclipse that brought down the house too.....(ok maybe it wasnt that great, but it sounded good to me)

OC Ultra
    syke
    My ultra is similar to yours & I want to put in some subs...any pics of how yours are setup. I'm at a loss of how to set the boxes up I'd like to have it sorta stealth.

syke-o
    syke
    My ultra is similar to yours & I want to put in some subs...any pics of how yours are setup. I'm at a loss of how to set the boxes up I'd like to have it sorta stealth.
    i will take some pics this week and post them...... it is actually really stealth as u cant tell i have subs at all...

OC Ultra
    Still trying to figure out how to install the subs. Do I buy a box, and bolt em to the floor(ghetto). Must be some ideas for installing under the bulkheads in small boats like mine. Maybe have them glassed in? HELP, can't visualize a good way to do it.

riverbound
    Still trying to figure out how to install the subs. Do I buy a box, and bolt em to the floor(ghetto). Must be some ideas for installing under the bulkheads in small boats like mine. Maybe have them glassed in? HELP, can't visualize a good way to do it.
    The most common way we do it is build a rectangle box that fits under the dash with the woofers facing the back of the boat. Then we build a cover panel that contours the boat (sort of like making another bulkhead) this panel will have a hole cut in it where the woofer will fit through. This will look like we took your factory wall and cut a hol in it and mounted a woofer in it. But in reality there is an enclosure behind the new wall. You will loose a little bit of leg room under neath.
    The way we did Syke-0's boat is pretty much the same but the woofers actually face the front of the boat instead of the back. then the panel is just a flat wall. this gives the illusion that there are no woofers in the boat. the woofers actually fire against the front bulkhead and are vented out the top.
    Hopefully syke-o will post some pics soon to give you a better understanding of what I am talking about.
    Parker if you are reading this their are pics of this on the shop computers.

OC Ultra
    I starting to get the idea......how do you fasten the box? The more I think about it I' m gunna have to bring the boat back from the river, and hand it over to you guys & let you have at it.

riverbound
    If the woofers are rear facing we usually go int ot he fron bulkhead and into the floor closer to the middle of the boat. You want to stay away form the outside edges the boat gets really thin there adn you run the risk of going completely through the bottom of the boat.
    If you go front firing it is mounted to the floor and mounted to the side bilkhead.

OC Ultra
    Riverbound...thanks for all the tips. Now to figure out, how ambitous do I feel. Before I make the decision I'll check with ya!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast