Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bush was denied wiretaps, bypassed them

Steve 1
    Bush was denied wiretaps, bypassed them
    WASHINGTON, Dec. 26 (UPI) -- U.S. President George Bush decided to skip seeking warrants for international wiretaps because the court was challenging him at an unprecedented rate.
    A review of Justice Department reports to Congress by Hearst newspapers shows the 26-year-old Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court modified more wiretap requests from the Bush administration than the four previous presidential administrations combined.
    The 11-judge court that authorizes FISA wiretaps modified only two search warrant orders out of the 13,102 applications approved over the first 22 years of the court's operation.
    But since 2001, the judges have modified 179 of the 5,645 requests for surveillance by the Bush administration, the report said. A total of 173 of those court-ordered "substantive modifications" took place in 2003 and 2004. And, the judges also rejected or deferred at least six requests for warrants during those two years -- the first outright rejection of a wiretap request in the court's history.

Steve 1
    Great before 9/11 they allowed everything and now the bastards forgot we were attacked on 9/11 2001
    And could care less about millions of Americans and our cities

Burley1
    ok for the record "W" can monitor my phones and he don't have to tell me.

Freak
    Great before 9/11 they allowed everything and now the bastards forgot we were attacked on 9/11 2001
    And could care less about millions of Americans and our cities
    As usual you really have no clue to which you speak about. STOP READING JUNK and believing it.
    For once think about it.....
    If a President truly has inherent authority under Article II as Commander in Chief, to bypass Congress, the law, and the courts (the FISA Court that handles this type of surveillance request), then in effect a President rules as sovereign: an elected monarch. Congress becomes irrelevant.
    And, interestingly enough, there is no need for a Patriot Act or any other enabling legislation.
    Congress does not like being made irrelevant, not only for the usual partisan and self-interested reasons, but because this contravenes a fundamental principle of American government back to day one. Speaking of "original intent" and "what the Founders had in mind."
    I should say here what I think of the present controversy.
    IMHO, a President in wartime could legitimately claim the right to order domestic SIGINT activities under a time-limited emergency declaration that was specifically intended only to obtain the time needed to file for warrants under FISA. Normally, FISA allows filing warrants for up to 72 hours after the onset of the SIGINT activities in question. I would say that the post-9/11 wartime conditions give grounds to legitimately claim an extension. Perhaps to six months. A year at the absolute most. During which time the President would have to compile the information needed to obtain proper warrants; or alternatively to get Congress to change the law (about which more below).
    However this is not what happened. Instead, President Bush claimed authority to renew those executive orders *indefinitely.* This to my mind contravenes the spirit of the law, as well as the letter. It exceeds the need to stretch the legal boundaries: it stretches the law past the breaking point: in other words, it breaks the law.
    And that, by any other name, is a crime.
    Wake up Steve. Your being bullshitted into handing over your rights and you don't even know it. A prime example of the dumbing down of america.
    When I see the amout of junk you post I wonder what is behind it. Is your business not at the level you had hoped it would be and somehow you blame the dems because...... it could not be your fault????
    Continue posting garbage. I will enjoy making a mockery of your stupidity.

Steve 1
    No Freak AS Usual it you who is lost do not have a clue Look up the number of warrants denied since its inception and the number denied to President Bush Read my last paragraph and LAST sentence BTW I could care less what he does to protect this country
    Also you should be MORE concerned about the sedition and RAT leaks to the TRAITOR press example insert NY Times than the Spying that keeps us alive!
    So that tiny brain of yours feels it is OK for the press to cross these boundaries NO that is treason by the very fact WE know about it. Got the HINT need more Clues??
    BTW Nutcase:
    84% of republicans approve of wiretaps
    51% of democrats
    Liberalism is like the Aids Virus

Freak
    No Freak AS Usual it you who is lost do not have a clue Look up the number of warrants denied since its inception and the number denied to President Bush Read my last paragraph and LAST sentence BTW I could care less what he does to protect this country
    Also you should be MORE concerned about the sedition and RAT leaks to the TRAITOR press example insert NY Times than the Spying that keeps us alive!
    So that tiny brain of yours feels it is OK for the press to cross these boundaries NO that is treason by the very fact WE know about it. Got the HINT need more Clues??
    BTW Nutcase:
    84% of republicans approve of wiretaps
    51% of democrats
    Liberalism is like the Aids Virus
    First off I commend you on your somewhat proper sentence structure...for once. I can almost make sense of all of it.
    Now I'll get to the point. As I said I don't have a problem with spying. So what is your point.....again?

Steve 1
    Freak you lose BIG TIME for being a spell check Lady!!!
    IMHO the President does have the power in extraordinary events such as this terrorism and the animals who have declared war on us from newborns on up!

Freak
    Freak you lose BIG TIME for being a spell check Lady!!!!
    LOL...I poke fun and you dont get it. Spell check and poor sentence structure are not the same.
    IMHO the President does have the power in extraordinary events such as this terrorism and the animals who have declared war on us from newborns on up!
    Ok I agree. The hoopla is that it is indefinite. So the war is over and they are still intruding on your right to privacy. You don't have a problem? Look at the big picture!
    How about the Brits? They are not allowed to shout ‘rubbish’ at a political conference. Jan 1/06 Police are to be given sweeping powers to arrest people for every offence, including dropping litter, failure to wear a seat belt and other minor misdemeanours.
    At present, officers can generally arrest people if they suspect them of committing an offence which carries at least five years in prison. They will now have the discretion to detain someone if they suspect any offence and think that an arrest is "necessary". Walking down the street with a screw driver in your pocket and a cop stopes you. Suddenly your a criminal going to commit a crime. How wrong is that?
    Steve your rights are inalienable, and you would have to give your rights up, willingly. I'm not nor should you!
    * Your First Amendment rights-freedom of speech, association and assembly. Freedom of the press, and freedom of religion supported by the strict separation of church and state.
    * Your right to equal protection under the law - equal treatment regardless of race, sex, religion or national origin.
    * Your right to due process - fair treatment by the government whenever the loss of your liberty or property is at stake.
    * Your right to privacy - freedom from unwarranted government intrusion into your personal and private affairs.
    Time to leave town for vacation. Happy New Year.

Steve 1
    Free eek Look Ace the in these forums it is a very very GAY thing to side step issues and do the spelling lady thing!
    So lets see by your mentality we wait until this left infested leaky court decides to issue a warrant thru the NY Times front page .am I close??
    Second no ones rights are in danger except those trying to do harm, Example-Remember 9/11 OR are you a conspiracy expert A La Bent 472 and the government blew up the WTC and fired a missile into the Pentagon!
    Third Great Britton Bad example it has allowed itself to be overrun filled to the brim with the Moon God people who would kill on a moments notice –See London subway!
    Fourth The President is well within his Power to protect this country by any means necessary so why cry when he does his job??

SmokinLowriderSS
    After listening to an interview yesterday with an attorney who used to work for the DOJ, who used to prepare & file requests for surveliance with the FISA court, I have no problem, in the current circumstances with bypassing the court and using executive order. The FISA requests have to be very detailed, must detail very clearly "Probable Cause", are typically 2 to 3 INCHES THICK (not 2 to 3 pages) and take many times months to investigate to compile. FISA was set up durring the cold war to find, proof, and prosecute espianage agents (typically Soviet ones). It is far to cumbersome an entity for the modern speeds of data/information transmission and the vaugeness of Islamic Terrorism.
    I don't care if the NSA listens to my phone conversations either, they will get bored very soon and move on.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast