Thread: removing pump from boat

tahiti cowboy
    Im having a problem getting pumpout of my 20' tahiti super cruser it has a jf pump they used a lot of epoxy on bottem of boat around intake. Should I use heat to softin the epoxy or what Ive tried every thing else does anyone have some ansers every one I talk to they know how to take out a jg pump butt this is a lot different please help. Thanks for helping with getting motor out.

BrendellaJet
    Why are you pulling the intake out? To get my intake out, I heated up the epoxy a little(not sure if tht helped... and applied constant pressure from the bottom using a hydraulic jack. You will need to find a way to keep from lifting the boat off the trailer...To do that I laid some 4x6 across the stringers, and between that and the truss in my garage I wedged a piece of 2x6, and then started applying pressure... Got it tight, Left it alone for 15 minutes, came back and gave it another pump and the think started to pop loose. The noise was scary, but came undone just fine. If you think about the bond that stuff gets, a little noise is understandable....

Duane HTP
    Why would you ever pull an F Series pump out of the boat. Pull the engine, and overhaul it in the boat. Why break the seal if it's in that tight. The only reason I'd ever pull one of those pumps for, is if the pump housing itself was trashed. Just my .02.

sanger rat
    We need to get the pump out to do some transom and floor wood repair. :cry: Guess we'll put a little more heat to it and find a way to push the pump down and out. This is our first time working with a F pump so any other feedback would be great.

The only reason I'd ever pull one of those pumps for, is if the pump housing itself was trashed.
    Are you sure you won't reconsider? If Duane (a guy that does this professionally every day) told me this, I'd figure out another way to facilitate the repairs............some way!...............some how!