Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need clarification

Tequila-John
    Ok so me and Parker Dreamin's plan is this. We both have 2nd homes in AZ. We are buying our boat in CA but leaving the boat and trailer in storage full time in AZ using the boat in AZ full time also. Might bring the boat back 1 time a year for the service in CA. The big question is do we Reg both in AZ? Or just the boat? We have been told reg boat in AZ trailer in CA and then reg both in AZ. HELP PLEASE.............

jdogginla
    Someone will correct me if I am wrong............but register the BOAT in AZ, no property tax. But register the TRAILER in CA. If you are pulling a trailer that has AZ plates in CA with a truck that has CA plates the CHP WILL ticket you.
    Let the corrections begin,,,,,,,,,lol :boxingguy

Tequila-John
    Someone will correct me if I am wrong............but register the BOAT in AZ, no property tax. But register the TRAILER in CA. If you are pulling a trailer that has AZ plates in CA with a truck that has CA plates the CHP WILL ticket you.
    Thanks bud. Let's see if we can narrow this down......

iparky
    You can reg your boat in AZ no problem :mix: . If you travel into CALI with a AZ trailer and get pulled over with CALI DL, the CHP will thank you for the pay raise . Your reg and DL must be in the same state. The CHP doesn't care about the boat :idea: because it is not on CALI highways. I have heard some CHP will look specificly for the AZ trailer behind a CALI tow vehilce . It is your choice if you want to risk it. With the new PT tag for trailers it is not that bad of reg fees.

dicudmore
    I have heard this as well. Mine are both registered AZ, truck CA and never been hassled (up to this point)
    However if you actually have AZ residence I think you would not have a prob

Havasu_Dreamin
    What he said.
    Also, if you're leaving it in AZ why tow back for service? There are plenty of service shops in Havasu. We use Absolute and Aaron is great to work with and does great work!

What he said.
    Also, if you're leaving it in AZ why tow back for service? There are plenty of service shops in Havasu. We use Absolute and Aaron is great to work with and does great work!
    In another post somebody said that if you reg your trailer in CA they will ask you what boat goes with it and how much you paid for it so they will get u for sales tax...but if we bought the boat in CA then we paid that already......right ?
    What does everybody else do that has primary home in CA, boat reg in AZ...how do you have your trailer ? and have you had any problems ?

jdogginla
    In another post somebody said that if you reg your trailer in CA they will ask you what boat goes with it and how much you paid for it so they will get u for sales tax...but if we bought the boat in CA then we paid that already......right ?
    What does everybody else do that has primary home in CA, boat reg in AZ...how do you have your trailer ? and have you had any problems ?
    If you use your boat 51% of the time in AZ waters you can legally register it in AZ and still live in CA. It's not the sales tax you have to worry about in CA.........It's the yearly property tax on the boat.

Havasu_Dreamin
    That question never came up for us. As far as teh state of CA knows I own a trailer. We bought our curent boat and our previous boat in CA, registered both in AZ and we paid CA sales tax on the purchase but have never paid any property taxes as the boat is stored in the garage in LHC.

Tequila-John
    That question never came up for us. As far as teh state of CA knows I own a trailer. We bought our curent boat and our previous boat in CA, registered both in AZ and we paid CA sales tax on the purchase but have never paid any property taxes as the boat is stored in the garage in LHC.
    Yeah thats wierd. Have no problem paying the Tax on the purchase but want to avoid getting messed with in the future with taxes or tickets. Like I said before we have the second home in AZ and the boat and trailer will be used in AZ 100% of the time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast