Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Lake Pacific Run

rivercrazy
    Yo Tom. I made the run in the 25. The conditions were 2-4' swells with 1-2' wind chop. Despite the conditions being about the same each way, it was actually easier on the way back because your traveling with the wind instead of against it. Watching the weather predictions and offshore conditions are vital. As you already know, the 25 Tremor handles rough conditions very very well for its size.
    IMO some of the things to bring and be prepared for are:
    * Carry a good quality GPS that has functions that include mapping and coordinate programming. Carrying a back up isn't a bad idea
    * A compass and knowing headings each way is also a great idea
    * Carry a good quality VHF radio and know which stations you need for emergencies
    * Travel with as many experienced salt vets as possible and stay together.
    * Carry a cell phone as another backup.
    * Your better off with a sling launch with a non galv trailer. If you launch into salt with the trailer, apply WD-40 liberally and rinse the trailer with water at a fresh water wash down station immediately after launching and retreiving.
    * Flush the motor really good with fresh water followed by salt a way. Your closed cooling system is great for salt but flush flush flush!
    * If you don't have a snap cover for the closed bow, its not a bad idea to get one installed. It will keep most of the salt spray from getting into the boat through the bow.
    * Buy an emergency flare gun kit

Quality Time
    Tom, Take your 25 out. My previous ride was a 25 and I went out a few times and it is a blast. You really get to know your boat and improve your driving skills as mentioned above.
    GPS and a VHF are always handy even on the lakes. As far as safety gear, it's is all the same. If you are legal on the lakes, you will be legal on the ocean. Coastguard regs are coastguard regs. The only extra equipment you should have is a hose & quarters for the wash rack (at least in Newport). Dana is free I heard and don't know about Long Beach.
    As far as your trailer is concerned, after you launch, you can swing by the wash rack and squirt it down before you head out. This should ease your mind while you are enjoying the day! When you return, back to the wash rack to rinse everything off and flush the motors. The beauty of your 496 is that it is closed cooling.
    I hope this helps and look forward to running with you out on the big lake

Quality Time
    One other issue to consider, you don't have the enourmous lines at the launch like you have at Kathrines, Havasu etc. and boats cleary out number the lake lice!

WILD LAVEY
    ok, count me in for this run. 13th sounds good. im also thinking about doing the 30th run.

cola
    I'am ready

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
    ok, count me in for this run. 13th sounds good. im also thinking about doing the 30th run.
    sure you are

Krumbsnatcher
    Will be crusin in a 38' fountain. Lets get a meeting spot in place.
    We have to get there early, due to it is first come first serve basis to tie up in the harbor.

Big Warlock
    not going to make it on the 13th. I will be in Mexico on a ten day trip on my other boat.
    Tom :
    I said 200 feet of rope because the anchorage outside Avalon is 70 - 100 ft of water. Mooring are very tight to find in the summer. Not sure how they will in November. The chain is to lay the rope on the sea bed to "hook" the fluke anchors. Your box I imagine will be fine. I still recommend a5 foot of chain. rule of thumb for anchoring is 3 times the depth in terms of ratio of line out.
    A marine radio with channels 9 and 16 on tap is a good thing to have. I also would purchase Sea Tow or similar towing insurance. They will ask you if you have it when you break down and call the coast guard.
    Navigation is pretty simple. Shoot a bearing and keep going until you see the big island. Head for the south end. Getting back is a little tricky with all those people living on the "big island". GPS might be handy if not familiar. If your 25 foot or under, you can tie up on one of Sam's Rentals buoys. They don't like 30 footers and up.
    Hope that helps. I will be on the next one for sure.

Three Days Only
    I have never been out to the island except for once where there were not mooring spaces. If theres no spaces I would be shocked in November. Its going to be a great time.......I cant wait.
    Jeff

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
    I have never been out to the island except for once where there were not mooring spaces. If theres no spaces I would be shocked in November. Its going to be a great time.......I cant wait.
    Jeff
    November is pretty good for parking at the Island, this will be my last trip :frown: The boat is going up for sale, I want a tritoon :2purples:

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast