Thread: Turbo/ Ingnition

83nordic
    I am putting a twin turbo deal in my boat and am wondering what you boost guys are running for ingition set-ups. I have an MSD marine box and rev limiter currently but would like a knock sensor with retard built in. Is there such an animal? I have the MSD knock sensor but it just screams at you if you are in the red zone, I would like it to be sorta dummy proof. Any input is appreciated.

don johnson
    I am running an MSD 6a without any knock sensors in my twin 1050 blown/ intercooled 572's. I am running 11 lbs of boost, 32 degrees of timing, locked out. With Av Gas at the same price as premium no need for knock sensors at that boost level...
    Are you running such high boost levels that detonation is a concern?

83nordic
    DJ, i will not be running more than ten pounds of boost but... i am a little anal about protecting my goodies and i am not going to be running av gas. Fuel will be premium with some boost additive.
    Thanks

don johnson
    For what it is worth when Gary Teague dynoed my motors he ran them on Premium. I can run premium at 11 lbs no problem. These motors have an aggresive hydraulic roller and big heads which makes it easier to run pump gas. I will run these motors at 6,000 RPM for extended periods with no problems...
    Are you running aluminum heads, modest timing and an intercooler? If so, that combination at 10lbs you should not have any problems. One other nice piece is a large oil cooler, keep the oil temps in check and that will aid in pulling some heat off the tops of the pistons which really helps deter detination
    In my old boat, single 1050 Teague, I ran an MSD with boost referenced retard. However, I found I was giving up HP by pulling the timing out so I yanked that setup off... The motor ran fine on pump gas so it was unnecessary...
    Good luck!

83nordic
    DJ, I am running good stuff, Brodix alum. heads roller everything intercooler and i am a big fan of oil coolers, which leads to a question i asked Rex -one i have always used the Olsen coolers but would like a bigger cooler for the turbo deal, rex has the best big cooler i have found any ideas on options? I am not really worried bout detonating regularly but if i got some crappy gas i would like to be protected and i share your lack of enthusiasm regarding the boost referenced retard deals which is why i was wondering about a detonation referenced retard so to speak. Sounds like your ride is some fun!!
    Thanks for the input

don johnson
    I run the oversize TCM, Teague Custom Marine, cooler. Oil temps never go beyond 210 degrees. Oil coolers are plumbed the first in line after the strainers then to the motor.
    I plumb the intercoolers off a seperate source on a dedicated strainer.
    I know there is an MSD digital box that can integrate a knock sensor. I can't remember the part number....

83nordic
    I will check that stuff out, Thanks again.

Performance 19
    Am using MSD 6btm on my twin turbo. This is boost referenced and has a retard gauge you can set from 0-3 degrees. Jim