Thread: Speed Record Attempts

jroos
    Does anyone know (if anyone is) who is building the craft that will attempt to break the sound barrier on water? Does anyone know what Breedlove is doing with his rocket car? Is he gonna make another attempt? Does he have a web site?

The web site for Breedlove's Spirit of America: http://www.spiritofamerica.com
    I started following his attempt in 96 and spent a week at Black Rock Desert in 97. Witnessed three supersonic runs by Andy Green in Thrust SSC two days prior to the setting of the supersonic record. I have to say I was disappointed that Breedlove's team was unable to make a serious challenge.

DetroitJim
    Take a look at www.kenwarby.com. (http://www.kenwarby.com.) He is the current record holder and is going out again soon. I don't think anyone is breaking the speed of sound anytime soon though.

spectras only
    I doubt that if anyone will ever break the sound barrier with a boat!Ken Warby did his thing 20 years ago and he may beat his own record by another 50-70 mph,far from the speed of sound.Ther was only one guy [Lee Mizer from Florida] who built a craft called Mizer Hydro,that he built with aircraft like controls [joystick vs wheel]and it was powered by a rocket engine rather than a jet.It had a theoretical speed of 500 MPH.The boat practically was an airplane not a boat,and I don't think it worked out well.Lee Taylor died trying to beat Warby's record [he did it on the unofficial run] on the official run doing 315 or 335 MPH.It will be a very tall effort for Breedlove to even catch up with Andy Green.