Thread: Extrude Hone....Worth the $$$??

AntRant
    Has anybody tryed the extrude hone on there intake? Does it realy make a diffrence in perfomance or mph?

beached1
    I would have it done in the bowl before I would extrude hone the intake. Used to be the hot ticket in PWC racing a long time ago.

RiverDave2
    Intake manifold on the motor? Or Intake on the jet?
    RD

mister460
    Depends on whether or not it's a wet manifold. It'll help just about anything but it might not be worth the cost. On fuel injected motors extrude honing is about the only way to "port" the plenum. On normal carb motors you can do any thing extrude honing can do with a die grinder an some sweat. All said assuming you're talking about engines! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif But, to be brief, probably not worth the expense on most motors. Hope this helps!

beached1
    I was assuming he was talking about the JET. I forgot about the intake manifold. I wouldn't think it would be worth the $$ on a manifold. I would think you could get decent enough results with a die grinder in that area. Oh well, my bad.

RiverDave2
    Why would you extrude hone a jet??
    Extrude honing is primarilly used for machining areas that are unreachable by standard techniques.. One of the best things about it though is it will "Port match" everything exactly.. You can bolt your intake manifold right up to the motor and have the whole thing matched perfect and enlarged to an exact amount... I.E. port and polish then entire intake tract.
    RD

Racing Ray
    Extrude honing is really neat. It does a great job enlarging ports. Sometimes this is the worse thing you can do. Extrude hone media flows like water it curves around bends real nice. However air does not flow around bends it flows only in straight lines!!!
    As well cylinder fill and velocities are very important to making horsepower. A straight port will not make as much power as one that has a venturi effect gaining velocity as it flows towards or away from the valves.
    When porting heads or intakes always approach it with the thought in mind of getting ports as straight from the carb venturies to the intake valve as possiable and as straight from the exhaust valve to the exhaust pipe.
    This is the reason you see high performance heads with raised exhaust ports. This straightens the path out of the valve.

beached1
    Originally posted by RiverDave2:
    Why would you extrude hone a jet??
    Extrude honing is primarilly used for machining areas that are unreachable by standard techniques.. One of the best things about it though is it will "Port match" everything exactly.. You can bolt your intake manifold right up to the motor and have the whole thing matched perfect and enlarged to an exact amount... I.E. port and polish then entire intake tract.
    RD
    It's was/is a fancy way of cleaning out all the casting flaws in your pump.

jroos
    I would recommend it for high horse/high rpm applications. On basically stock motor or one that is built for torque, don`t do it. Extrude honing will hamper the motor. Most notably, I found that idle quality will suffer. High RPM and if you have already port ed and polished, do it! won`t be sorry.