Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Hand Held GPS for MPH

msmeads1
    Who makes the best hand held GPS unit for MPH?
    I not need maps and download features etc... Just accurate MPH.
    Any recomendations?
    Jon.

Kindsvater Flat
    Garmin Etrex is best for the money. About 100 bucks or less. And it works on planes.
    http://www.saber.net/~atthefarm/fold...s/topspeed.jpg

emjay
    I love my E-Trex. As K.F. said, you can't beat it for the price.
    It has more features than I personally need, but it's a cool $100 toy.
    In my flatbottom, we've bounced it around pretty hard, gotten it soaked,
    and it still won't lie about my MPH. Also works great for calibrating
    your car's MPH too. My van has oversized tires, and when the
    speedo says 65, I'm already at 78 MPH. Kept me outta a few
    tickets. Got mine at Fry's. If you need more info, this has been covered
    a lot in older threads.

Jet City
    I like mine too, best feature is resetable top speed, really nice tuning tool.

Fiat48
    I'm new to these deals. So I can take one of these things with me, make a run and then it will show how fast I went? Or do I have to look at it while at speed (which is not going to happen)?

Cousin Bob
    I'm new to these deals. So I can take one of these things with me, make a run and then it will show how fast I went? Or do I have to look at it while at speed (which is not going to happen)?
    Yep... I just set mine in the passenger seat cushion with the top of the GPS pointing up, when I'm done I look at it, and it shows the top MPH.
    I've also just put the GPS around my neck and let it hang down, and it works fine.

Fiat48
    O.k. Are there any that are recordable..per say. Like a playback of a 7 or 8 second acceleration event?

LakesOnly
    Whatever model you get, just be sure it's a Garmin brand.
    Fiat, although I've never seen one like this, sanger mike tells me that some of the fancier models can even do quarter-mile times by way of marking your geographic location, and then you hit the throttle...and read the recorded time/distance data. Anyone heard of this or have one?
    LO

One thing you have to remember about the e-trex is that you need to let it catch up to your boat. Which means for top end you have to hold it for a few seconds. The e-trex is at least five years old now. I'm sure some of the newer ones will catch up faster. At the time the e-trex was the only gps I could find that remembered top speed.
    I ran one in my old flat. It really seemed acurate.
    They also make a cool mount for mountain bikes. It essentially mounts to round tubing. I built a cool little holder on my steering post, with some 3/4" round that the mount fastened to. Worked out ever so nice, c'mon

LakesOnly
    They record Max Speed, which is displayed/recalled at any time.
    They also display constant feedback of speed, geographical location, records the path you've been travelling, shows direction (NSWE), etc. Modern day compass.
    They even have Waypoints, which means you can stand in front of your house, Fiat, and hit "mark" then tear off into the sierra's with no fear of getting lost. Wife will never know where you are.
    LO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast