Thread: Marine or Not, MSD Dist

Just curious if everyone is spending the extra bucks to run a Marine certified MSD distributer over the more common (cheaper by $100) conventional Billet MSD distributer in the open engine compartmented jet boats?

superdave013
    I'd say yes to the box as I know you can soak them and they keep tickin. I would not worry about the distributer though.

Jbb
    I ran a 6al box and 85555 dist on my Edge for 6 years without the first problem...

NAMarine
    If you are worried about it, find someone that has a Mercruiser distributor for your motor. They work very good and you can find them everywhere.

Thanks a bunch. I kinda figured that it would be okay but I just was curious if I was missing something.
    Does everybody run their MSD box back by the engine or do some run it up front so it out of the elements?
    Thanks again...John

Good idea. I can't get it above the tanks (side mounts) but I could place it nice and high between the tanks and the transom. Shouldn't get wet there unless I have a really bad day :frown:
    My other thought was to stick it up front by the dash and run long leads.
    The reason I'm asking all of this is I have a MSD 6A available. Doesn't have a rev limiter built in but I could add a soft touch for less money than buying a new box.
    Good or bad idea?

drysumpjet
    I run a MSD 7AL-3 under the dash with good results. As per MSD techs, long runs of primary coil wiring is ok, any slight voltage drop is insignificant when dealing with MSD's 500 volt output. I learned the hard way about false ignition triggering due to unshielded distributor magnetic pickup wiring; again, the MSD techs helped, they reccomended to use a shielded twisted pair for the magnetic trigger wiring, ground the shield at the MSD box only, and locate it away from the primary wiring. Works great and the box stays dry.

WiredInTX
    The MSD Marine Distributor has two flame arrestor holes on the bottom of it to prevent a flame from escaping from the cap if gas fumes enter into the cap from a leaky fuel line or high float bowl setting on a carburetor. In an enclosed engine compartment I highly recommend the use of the certified distributor. It is also a good idea for open engine compartments as well. Cheap insurance if you ask me. All it takes is a fuel leak on the motor and a spark to ignite it to make your day turn into a nightmare. Why risk it? Also, the marine distributor uses stainless steel screws throughout the assembly that won't rust. As for mounting the box, the Marine 6 unit is sealed with a potting compound so you can mount it pretty much anywhere. If you are lengthening the cables I would recommend going to the next larger cable. The Power cables are 12 gauge so I would use 10 gauge wire on those and the coil and 12 volt wires are 18 gauge so I would use 16 gauge on those.
    See ya,
    WiredInTX