Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roller cam in v-drive

bbc540
    I'm currently running a solid lift comp cam 306 but am wanting to go to a solid roller but the roller cams call for a thrust button. My guestion is how do you go about the instalation and can you go to an electric water pump instead of the cam driven pump?

Moneypitt
    I may be wrong here, but I think the cam driven pump will secure the cam in place. We run a hilborn type fuel pump off the cam and haven't had any "walking" problems. Some others here may have more info, I can only relate to what I've dealt with. One more note, you should go to a bronze type dist gear if you go to a roller, as the rollers are not heat treated the same as a flat tapppet set up and a hard gear may damage the cam.........MP

steelcomp
    I may be wrong here, but I think the cam driven pump will secure the cam in place. We run a hilborn type fuel pump off the cam and haven't had any "walking" problems. Some others here may have more info, I can only relate to what I've dealt with. One more note, you should go to a bronze type dist gear if you go to a roller, as the rollers are not heat treated the same as a flat tapppet set up and a hard gear may damage the cam.........MP
    MP is right, and make sure you check your valve piston clearance again, and all your valve train clearances as well. And you know you have to change springs, too. Are you running good valves? If not, roller spring pressures should dictate an upgrade in valves.
    Just my .02

bbc540
    I thought as much but just wanted to hear it from someone else. This will be my winter project as well as installing a new set of heads which will probably be a set of brodix aluminom. I am just a weekend warrior and cant really afford any mishaps. thanks

DansBlown73Nordic
    Im thinking of doing the same thing. I bought a set of GM Bow Tie heads. I have a solid roller cam that I think im going to have reground to a Hydraulic roller.
    I was wondering if the water pump will stop the cam walk.

GofastRacer
    As Ray says, the pump drive (water or fuel) will replace the cam button, put the pump on and check end play, most of the time it will be ok if not just add shims!...

Jet City
    Thanks for the info, saved me from asking the question, I wondered how to deal with my upcoming roller can using a Neovane pump.

bbc540
    ok. what about the electric water pump issue. Does anyone know of a reliable electric system? Just wanted to let everyone know I appreciate all the help! :

I would go with the meiziere pump. They rate their pumps at full motor load and are top quality pieces.
    Chris

superdave013
    I don't know your application but it sounds v drive. If so the meiziere pumps are not self priming. They'll work once you get moving and force some water to it. But if your just idling around like right off the trailer in a long no wake zone it could be a problem.
    I used a Teel elect pump for RV sinks and showers. Worked fine for me and the price was right. Jabsco makes some nice self priming ones too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast