Thread: MSD Question Mag vs #10 Unit

Willis
    :boxingguy
    If the MSD 10 ignition system puts 700 millijoules across the spark plug gap @ .040 gap and the mag puts 300 millijoules @ .030 gap why use a Mag
    :sqeyes:
    Can somebody explain to me what the advantage of a mag is over C.D. systems.
    :messedup:
    Please productive response only
    Willis

Psycho Squid
    Mag makes it's own power and does'nt draw from the battery???

Moneypitt
    I think one factor with a mag is the constant voltage. No change from idle to a zillion RPMs. Any system that has a soak time will be short changed at the higher rpm #s and will put out high #s at an idle. These differences will wear out points as well as plugs. A standard ol' down the road mag puts out 24k, everytime it fires. Gap the plugs at .018 and you'll have an explosion in the chamber that is equal all around, and everytime. We've ran the same 8 spark plugs since 1991, never shoots ducks, bangs or pops. The old CD systems, capisitor (sp) discharge, was an effort to lenghten the life of the other ignition pieces by trying to obtain this constant current throughout the driving range of the vehicle. Although they did work to that end, they also broke down at the upper levels of demand that we hot rodders put on them. The mag is not a high voltage ignition, 24k everytime, where the GM HEI stocker is in the 45k area. I like the idea of a free standing mag, no external power sorce required. The transformer types are bulky, and not really water friendly, as well as having additional wires to mess with, which MAY create additional headaches..........MP

WiredInTX
    It is hard to beat a mag for simplicity. With the Pro Mag 12 all you need is the Generator a Pts Box and a set of Spark Plug Wires. The Pro Mag 12 comes with a built-in rev limiter, so if your boat likes to get out of the water once in awhile then your valve train will be protected from over-rev damage. A magneto is a self-generating ignition system, so not battery is required for it to create spark. It is rpm dependent so at low rpm you do have to run a smaller gap at the plug, especially if you idle around alot. With 300 Millijoules you get plenty of spark to fire most normally aspirated and blown engines. The mag does require 250 rpm cranking speed so if you have a newly built tight engine or a fresh blower then you may want to consider a 16 volt battery to ensure startup everytime.
    The MSD 10 Plus Ignition is a battery powered ignition system that produces both an inductive and capacitive discharge ignition spark. The inductive spark gives you a long hot 20-30 degree duration (crankshaft rotation) spark that will ignite both gas and alcohol fuels. The capacitive discharge (CD) spark gives you quick rise time and constant output whether you are at idle or max rpm. The unit draws a healthy 25 amps of current from your battery at 8000 rpm, so make sure your charging system is up to the task. With 700 Millijoules of output (over 2 times of the Pro Mag 12) the MSD 10 is ideal for Blown or Turbocharged engines running high static compression on gas or alcohol.
    No matter which system you choose be sure to regularly check your secondary ignition parts (Cap, rotor, plugs) at regular intervals. With the output of these systems they will show wear pretty quick especially if you plan on running the engine for extended periods of time.
    My suggestion would be for you to post what type of engine you will be putting the ignition on. If you are running a normally aspirated engine with low compression then both of these systems are overkill. On the other hand, if your motor is a high boost supercharged powerplant running on gas or alcohol then either of these systems will work fine.
    See ya,
    WiredInTX

Fiat48
    Every time I post on the Jet boat forum I always get some nice negatives. Keep 'em coming guys.
    I tested 3 ignition systems in back to back tests in an unblown alcohol car.
    Mallory Hi fire 4 system complete with the box.
    A vertex mag that had run so long it thought Hunt had died.
    A spankin new Mallory super mag III with the newest transformer.
    The car ran identical speeds and et's on all three ignitions.
    BUT. It started very quickly with the high fire setup. Definately tell the difference on starting. I could tell no difference between the old vertex and the new Mallory Mag III.
    Since this is alcohol which is a lot harder to fire especially when cold....I felt there was no need chasing ignition systems looking for perfromance..unless you were into the Nitro stuff. Just some food for thought.