Cholangitis or "PSC" a rare liver disease. Diagnosed
    in 1995 and since 2003 he has been on the transplant
    list through Kaiser here in California, The process
    has been slow and tedious! Through research they found
    a great hospital in Utah,
    LDS Hospital, Salt Lake City, UT
    8th Ave and C Street
    Salt Lake City, UT 84143
    Mike McGookin's web site for update - www.caringbridge.com/visit/mikemcgookin
    By moving there it put him very high on the donor list
    and he has actually had his transplant! The insurance problem still exsits though.
    Kaiser after 2 appeals have denied to pay for the
    care and transplant surgery in Utah even though it
    will happend faster there then in California. This
    means they will have to pay for everything! This is
    were you all come in! With the help of Rick & Jennifer
    Lemmon from the Long Beach Boat & Ski Club we are
    asking for donations of products or services which
    will be raffled off at the 58th running of the Long
    Beach to Catalina ski race during the ceremonies, all
    proceeds will go to my cousin and family to help him
    and his family with expenses. Rick Lemmone has
    graciously said any one donating product or service can
    hang 1 banner up at the race. Any one wishing to
    donate any type pf product or service can contact
    myself at mrgery7@yahoo.com or gsinnott@insyncla.com
    or Luvlmon@aol.com for information on were to send
    donations and more information.
    Anyone wanting to just make a cash donation can do so at any Bank of America make it to the Mike McGookin Transplant Fund acct. #08676-41991
    TUESDAY, APRIL 11, 2006 03:52 PM, CDT
    Hello!
    Mike has continued to do very well. He has become more "alive" each day! He has had a little more pain in the last day or so, but we're thinking it's gas from eating or his abdomen expanding from eating. He hasn't been too sleepy either which surprises us. A lot of the doctors have been by to see him today and are so impressed at his quick recovery. He has really grown to love the doctors and vice versa. No one has given us a time frame as to when Mike will be discharged but we are thinking by the end of the week. We would like to have him at home for Easter. We will just have to wait to see, we don't want to push it too much because that wouldn't be good for Mike.
    Mike is really touched by all of your congratulations and heartfelt notes on the guestbook. He can't wait to see each of you in person. We love you!
    THURSDAY, APRIL 13, 2006 01:40 PM, CDT
    Hi There!
    Mike has continued to recover amazingly well. He has had the entire hospital staff come by to check in on him & see if the talk in the hall is true, that he is doing so good! We went for a walk outside today to get him some fresh air and he loved it. After being in the hospital for 2 1/2 weeks he loved the sun on his face. It is very nice here, it's suppose to be 75 degrees today. The trees are all turning green and there are flowers blooming everywhere. It is beautiful.
    They are saying he may go home on Friday or Saturday. He is getting stronger & stonger. Because he is taking such a high dose of immunosuppresants so he doesn't reject his new liver, he is very suscepatable to germs and illnesses. The doctors have told us that Mike should wait for 6-8 weeks to pass before he has any visitors at home. They will eventually bring the dosage of immunosuppresants down and he won't be as susceptable to germs then. We know this may sound like a lomg time before you can come to visit but we doon't want to jeaopardize Mike's health now. We have waited far too long for him to be healthy again.
    Thank you for all your love. We are so blessed to have an amazing support group. I know you have made such a difference in Mike's willingness to fight. We love you with all our hearts.

boater012
    I lived in utah for four years and the that hospital is run by the lds church! go talk to the hospital admistrator and ask them what they can do for your brother as far as the payment goes! the church was good about just picking up the tab for people that didnt have insurance! They have programs in place for exactly this type of thing! my.02 worth ans yes WAS mormon at the time so im sure that the church will do something for you!!!
    p.s. im sorr to hear about what your brother is going through!

Silver
    God Bless! Thinking of how I can help.................? :idea:

pixilatedpussy
    Thoughts & Prayers!!!! I will be making a donation when I go to the bank for our shop next!!!!

catalinaskiracer
    Thanks to all that have replied and donated! Please don't hesitate to contact me for any info or if you want to to donate anything to the raffle we will hold at the Catalina race. This is a very good cause! He's a an increadable guy!
    Gery

life's a river
    Hey Gery, shirts are on there way with Carl. Good luck this weekend (WIN WIN WIN) and try to avoid the rain drops. I hope the storm doesn't hit you guys too bad. Im in for Catalina as well. Just let me know what you need. If you need some help making a banner with fund raising info on it just let me know.
    The prayers continue for Mike.
    PK

catalinaskiracer
    Paul, Thank you so much for the supporrt! I will do my best this weekend! Any help on Catalina weekend will be GREATLY appriciated! If you want to hang one of your banners at Catalina and include Mike on it I have the OK to do that! Any thing you can do to help the cause! Wish you were going this weekend we need to get you back into it. Maybe you can be navigator this with us if your game. Let me know, I would be honored! Take care if you any one who wants to donate to the raffel or just donate don't hesitate to call or e-mail!
    Thanks again! this all means allot to my cousin! He is totally stocked!
    Gery S.

life's a river
    Paul, Thank you so much for the supporrt! I will do my best this weekend! Any help on Catalina weekend will be GREATLY appriciated! If you want to hang one of your banners at Catalina and include Mike on it I have the OK to do that! Any thing you can do to help the cause! Wish you were going this weekend we need to get you back into it. Maybe you can be navigator this with us if your game. Let me know, I would be honored! Take care if you any one who wants to donate to the raffel or just donate don't hesitate to call or e-mail!
    Thanks again! this all means allot to my cousin! He is totally stocked!
    Gery S.
    Way to go Man! 1st place in both races. Awesome!
    Are you talking about navigating for Catalina?
    PK

HavaTan
    Call my previous employer. The best "Insurance Bad Faith" lawyers in the country!!!
    Shernoff, Bidart & Darras.
    They are in Claremont, CA. They are known around the country and the world for sueing POS insurance companies who don't like to pay for treatments that you've been paying them to take care of.
    Ask for Paul (he is the head of "intake") Tell him in his voicemail (you probably won't get him directly the 1st time) that I referred you (Michael Luther). I promise, if something can be done for him, they are the best to do it.

pixilatedpussy
    Hope all is well. Please Pm me if there is any more I can do to help.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast