Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mids and High's Question???????

cdog
    I've got 3 set's of MB Quartz 6.5's and they are run by a fosgate 551X amp. When I crank it up the amp shut's down after a while and then comes back on after 30 sec. or so. I belive it shuts down because of distortion. What shoud I do? I can get $200 credit for my amp as a trade in. Should I go with the JL or another fosgate and what modle exactly. A guy I know told me I need more power to the 6.5's. How much can I expect to pay for a better amp?

Havasu Hangin'
    How well is it ventilated?

cdog
    How well is it ventilated?
    Pretty well. I have one of those stinger fans blowing over the amps and kept the end plates off of them. It did this in my driveway sunday while it was 65 degrees out side.

Havasu Hangin'
    Well, it sounds like thermal shutdown, but not if it's that well ventilated. Does it get hot? How are the speakers wired to it?
    I'd put a minimum of 100 watts to those speakers.

phebus
    My Fosgate amp was shutting down due to low voltage (it was going into protect mode) It would come back on if power was shut off, then turned back on to reset it, but turn off again in about 30 secs. I don't know if the 551 will cycle on and off by itself if it goes into protect, but I would check to make sure your voltage isn't droping below 10.5 volts with a meter.

cdog
    My Fosgate amp was shutting down due to low voltage (it was going into protect mode) It would come back on if power was shut off, then turned back on to reset it, but turn off again in about 30 secs. I don't know if the 551 will cycle on and off by itself if it goes into protect, but I would check to make sure your voltage isn't droping below 10.5 volts with a meter.
    The base amp did'nt shut down. It get's fed from the same 4 ga. source. It's a Bp1000 fosgate running 2 eclipse 12's.

phebus
    The base amp did'nt shut down. It get's fed from the same 4 ga. source. It's a Bp1000 fosgate running 2 eclipse 12's.
    I have two Fosgate amps (1500 mono, 800 4ch.), and only the 1500 shuts down when my voltage drops. Bothh have the same voltage feed Can't explain it, but happens.

cdog
    Where are all of the stereo shop guy's? Did they get tired of giving away free advice?

cdog
    What i'm thinking right now is that each speaker has a RMS rating of 80-130 watts. The amp I have running 6 speakers has a RMS output of 275 watts. I was thinking of buying another amp with a RMS output of 550 RMS and split that among 4 speakers and using my 551 to run the other two. How does that sound?

cdog
    Bump?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast