Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 14' jet boat build up

GIVERSOME
    Hey whats up everybody I'm glad to be here.
    I am thinking of building a 14' jet boat using a 3 cylinder pwc motor and jet drive. Also thinking of using a v6 merc and jetdrive combo as well. So have any of you tried something like this or know of someone building these to sell or anything related to this. I have built small hydroplanes with 25 hp outboards before, and wanted to try some real performance this time around. any information about running surfaces, engine size, pump combinations, or size of the hull would be appreciated. Thankyou everybody.

Aluminum Squirt
    You may want to put a little more power to it, I've got a 350 in my 15' jetboat-Aluminum Squirt

GIVERSOME
    Thank you for the reply Aluminum-squirt. Does any one else have or know of a small production boat like this, or maybe something custom. Just looking for ideas because I am going to build either way.

LakesOnly
    I've entertained the idea of putting a full size pump behind a 14-ft aluminum boat and powering it with a massaged Mazda rotary...
    I don't think a 150HP injected water-rat motor is gonna get you the results you might be hoping for.
    LO

DaveA
    Hey whats up everybody I'm glad to be here.
    I am thinking of building a 14' jet boat using a 3 cylinder pwc motor and jet drive. Also thinking of using a v6 merc and jetdrive combo as well. So have any of you tried something like this or know of someone building these to sell or anything related to this. I have built small hydroplanes with 25 hp outboards before, and wanted to try some real performance this time around. any information about running surfaces, engine size, pump combinations, or size of the hull would be appreciated. Thankyou everybody.
    There's a million of these things out there. SeaDoo, Yamaha, Bayliner, etc etc have been building these small jets for years. Usually 2-4 place, 4-banger power with a pump or even two pumps off one engine. I've even seen twin engines in the larger Yammers, I think. Do a search on www.boattraderonline.com and you'll see what I mean. Search on FourWinns Fling, Boston Whaler Rage, or Bayliner Jazz- some of the different makes.

WUTWZAT
    I don't think the problem your going to run into with a full size pump is the size of boat you have it in. But the ability of the water pushing to to move that volume of water. Lakesonly idea is more realistic. I too have thought of putting a turboed honda or acura motor in a small jet(some NOS wouldn't hurt). They can run sustained higher rpms and over heating shouldn't be an issue since your pump fresh cooler (at least cooler than a radiator) water constantly. Other than plumbing and mounts no real obstacles to do this. A company by the name of Unique Metal Products or UMP makes conversion kits for bellhousings and motor mounts.
    But I doubt the ability of such a small motor would be able to create the torque needed to turn the pump to a satisfactory volume. PWC use a much smaller pump and are more effient, and can get away with that, besides the fact that they are pushing a much smaller craft. Plus a 14', 15' even an 18' boat will all dispalce and push a realativley similar amount of water compared to a jet ski.
    If you really wanna piss some people off, build a carbon fiber hull, with a blown alcohol small block, if you got the bucks supercharge it. And listen to everyone bitch.
    But hey, its your money, do what makes you happy. These are only our opinions.... cause remember, people once thought the Earth was flat, you might be able to get something going and it would be like rollerblades to rollerskates.......
    Good Luck
    Jason

GIVERSOME
    I appreciate all the information. So If I was to use the pwc engine and jet drive a 10' Hull should give me better results. I am good with composites and laminating, so a light weight high strength Hull is possible.

Jbb
    Go to a few salvage websites and look around...there are single and twin Sea Doo and Yamaha jetboats with damage from storms that can be had cheap...I bought a 97 Sea Doo Speedster twin..for $1000.

GIVERSOME
    The discontinued Articat Tigershark 3 cylinder 999cc power plant was around 172 advertised hp. So salvaging that particular pwc would be good for this project.

Some Kind Of Monster
    Maybe you can get some ideas from my boat:
    http://***boat.com/forums/showthread...ight=boat+spam

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast