Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast Iron Or Aluminum Heads???

DansBlown73Nordic
    Im at a fork in the road. I have this set off 990s and one is cracked. Im going to buy a new set of heads. Im just not sure what to buy.
    The motor is a blown BBC in my V-Drive Nordic. Makes about 6 psi boost. Hydraulic cam. Turns about 6,500 rpm's.
    Im thinking of a set of Canfields. They are the 310 runner.
    Is it a big deal using aluminum heads on a cast iron block? Im curious about the expanding and contracting. Anybody have any thoughts?

DansBlown73Nordic
    990/188 are cast iron GM heads. They are square port open chamber 119cc.

paradigm shift
    Im at a fork in the road. I have this set off 990s and one is cracked. Im going to buy a new set of heads. Im just not sure what to buy.
    The motor is a blown BBC in my V-Drive Nordic. Makes about 6 psi boost. Hydraulic cam. Turns about 6,500 rpm's.
    Is it a big deal using aluminum heads on a cast iron block? Im curious about the expanding and contracting. Anybody have any thoughts?
    Not a big deal. Use Felpro or Cometic for gaskets and ARP studs or bolts and it will work very well and be dependable as long as no detonation. Dependable as for head gaskets problems. :smile: Just my.02

DansBlown73Nordic
    990s came on some early 70s Chevys. The 188 are replacement over the counter GM performance heads.

paradigm shift
    Why only 310 runners on a blown set up? Leaving some on table I would think.

jackpunx
    I might be missing something here.. but your running 6500rpms with hydrolic set up?

DansBlown73Nordic
    Yes 6,200 - 6,500....

jackpunx
    Yes 6,200 - 6,500....
    Is that normal?.. I can run mine up to about 5800 Probably a little hire if I wanted to.. but with out solid's... Am I wrong?.. or do you have a special trick up your sleeve

Norseman
    Is that normal?.. I can run mine up to about 5800 Probably a little hire if I wanted to.. but with out solid's... Am I wrong?.. or do you have a special trick up your sleeve
    Isn't the max engine speed set by the gearing in the v drive, prop size and pitch and boat length IE load on the engine????? :supp:
    Unless I'm thinking about this all wrong, changing the prop pitch or size will change the load on the engine, and there for the max engine speed, if all the other variables stay constant.
    Larger dia prop, more load on the engine, less RPM, Higher pitch more load on the engine lower rpm....
    Smaller prop dia, less load on the engine, more rpms, smaller prop pitch, less load, higher rpms
    Or did I get it wrong?????? :idea:

jackpunx
    Isn't the max engine speed set by the gearing in the v drive, prop size and pitch and boat length IE load on the engine????? :supp:
    Unless I'm thinking about this all wrong, changing the prop pitch or size will change the load on the engine, and there for the max engine speed, if all the other variables stay constant.
    Larger dia prop, more load on the engine, less RPM, Higher pitch more load on the engine lower rpm....
    Smaller prop dia, less load on the engine, more rpms, smaller prop pitch, less load, higher rpms
    Or did I get it wrong?????? :idea:
    I hear what your saying.. My question was with regards to the motor.
    Take the Gears away .. Take the prop dia away..
    From my understanding..(im a new guy).. engines with hydraulic set ups can run about 5600 RPMS before they start to fall apart.
    With a solid set up you can run up in the 7krpm range..
    I was just curious if I was wrong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast