Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast Iron Or Aluminum Heads???

jackpunx
    I dont think that is true today with modern hyd. lifters. Tho I do have a solid cam- Z89 isky and I am way done at 7000, my peak power is at 6400 then it starts to drop @ 6900 im at 819hp from 840 @ 6400. my 02 because I'm bored
    thanks.. I have a friend (wink) that is building an engine over the winter. the builder told him to put in solid lifters to run harder and at a higher RPM... He said a bunch of different stuff too.. but basically he said that the solids were better..along with a little more maint but.. At least I'll have my eyes on the motor all the time.. I figure I have all the good parts already and way to much HP at this point.. So I might as well go with the solids..
    Do you have a point of view since your board?
    Im really only interested in running around 64-66k rpms tops..
    OH.. PS.. so that I dont feel bad for hijakcing the thread.. I have allum dart pro heads.. I say go allum..

jackpunx
    More maintenance is true as you will not just set and forget, you will have to stay on top of them. I have run mine for maybe 6 hours (off and on) and have not needed to re adjust so far -tho have checked them. My motor is new- and I have had to re-adjust after head re-torq tho. You can never have way to much HP I could not afford aluminum so I went with the merlins cast iron. maybe some day tho.... when i hit the lotto :idea:
    the builder is telling me I should do it about every 25hrs.. so I figure I'll do it when I change my oil and service my drive..
    OH yea..
    thats the issue.. Its not to much power.. its to much power for my IO...
    Im at 800hp now .. Im thinking.. Im on borrowed time already

Moneypitt
    Some, if not all, aluminum heads have extra head bolts. Don't forget to drill and tap the block............MP

GofastRacer
    990s came on some early 70s Chevys. The 188 are replacement over the counter GM performance heads.
    The 990 replacement is "482" and is available new at SDPC for $429.50 each!..

Fiat48
    I remember when thesy closed out the old castings $400 a pair. I bought 6 sets and they didn't hang around.
    At that price...the Merlins cast iron would be the choice for sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12