Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Winter Projects?

cyclone
    I'm not sure of the process. All i know is the 29 DCB with the blue metalflake flames looked pimp to me. My parents boat was two tone blue metalflake. I guess i'm just nostalgic like that.

Unchained
    If money fell from the sky I would like to buy and rig one of those 21' Eagle aluminum tunnel hulls.
    I'm concerned when I read that the hull is a dog out of the hole and they are prone to a lot of cavitation.
    That wouldn't work for me.

Have you talked to the guys that own em Mark? I was under the impression that the poor holeshot was due more to the river nozzle they all run (the one with the permanent up angle built in and no adjustability). It's my understanding that pretty much all the white water boats have a poor holeshot because of the nozzle, tunnels and semi-v's alike.

FOURQ
    FOURQ Gel is not like paint you will need to spray the color gel you want then spray a layer of clear gel and then blow the color of flake you want on it then spray more clear gel to cover it.This is from the Valspar rep where I bought my gel.They have all the diffrent color flake you would need 1800 472 4551 this place is in Stover Mo.
    Jake
    i have a direct contact with valspar and i know they have fillers you can add to the gell to give it a metallic look but i do know that there is some metallic gells out there with the flake in them the trouble is finding them cause it seems they arent to popular anymore.I have been playing with some colored fillers and they have turned out awsome but its not quite what i was looking for. if i cant get what im looing for i may just spray a base color then go with a pearl in the clear. i have seen the exact color i want with the metalic in it. I talked to my buddy at valspar and he told me that when they (lilly) got bought out by valspar they quit making all metalic colors.
    Call Dave @ Dave's Custom Boats. He's put metalflake gel on a few of his boat's lately and could direct you to a supplier.
    thanks mike
    4Q

Jeanyus
    My project will be to take this Competitive trailer, put a pivot hith on it, have it painted red.
    http://images.ofoto.com/photos1011/2...0203_0_ALB.jpg
    And put it under my Bahner.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...eady-thumb.jpg
    I will try to improve my setup, with a backcut shoe, and with any luck, some new carbs.
    I'm taking votes should I put the red plexiglas splash guard back on? The boat dosen't have much freeboard,so it could benifit from it, but it seems like the splash guard would make it hard to work on the boat.
    http://images.ofoto.com/photos999/2/...0203_0_ALB.jpg

Jake W2
    FOURQ ,YOU THE MAN.
    Jake

FOURQ
    FOURQ ,YOU THE MAN.
    Jake
    why you say that ??? i'm just a stupid kid..lol
    i just got word on a new intake i wanted so i may also be settin a new intake in my boat and matching it to the pump
    4Q

corlish
    FourQ, Jake,
    I looked into this a while back too. I know you are looking for metallic (as was I) but I found that HKResearch makes a pearlescent gel but it is primarily used in cultured marble applications. I do not recall the difference in gel if any between a cultured marble app and spraying on fiberglass.
    I ended up using aluminum powder mixed in clear gel sprayed over a light gray base for a metallic stripe -- i just tried to take some pics but had a hard time getting the camera to focus. My stripe has a very fine metallic look nothing like the old school glitter paint.
    The thing that I am worried about though is my stripe does not have any clear on it. I achieved the look I wanted (very fine metallic -- similar to automotive paint) but am concerned that it may dull quicker than the rest of the gel due to oxidation of the aluminum powder exposed at the surface? We'll see how long it lasts but at least for now I am happy.
    Corey

moneysucker
    I am shooting for a better # from Money$ucker and assembling the new to me Crusader Drag Tunnel. I am taking some time on this one as opposed to the 3 year 3 time progressive rebuild/restoration I have done on the Southwind. This time my aluminum will see a lot of custom fabrication and water jet cutting for detailing. That and I will be testing Zoopseal on my aluminum. There has to be something that works. The crusader and trailer are both unwanted items from these boards. The hull was saved from a chain saw in Utah. Salt Lake City is really far away. Of course I have to set back the intake and put a full race bottom as well as completely re-rig the crusader. it may end up as a single seater.

the DCB's that mike is talking about are cleared in the mold(W/flake or dry pearls added) then they would back it with a colored gel wich would give it the same effect as the ranger bass boats but with much smaller flake!
    not 100% about the earlier methods but ive heard that ranger adds toners to their gels still today!
    talkin about a heavy build with gels! and to think that some people think that we used too much gel on cyclones 19'...
    todd

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast