Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 60's,70's,80's Race History Coffee Table Book!!LOOK

kindsangerflats
    The thread says "race" history, but overall boat manfacturers involvement is very crucial to a good book. Old ads, plant photos, showroom photos, boat rigging, nostalgic powerplants like 409's, LS7's, cross-bolted FE's, Hemi's, Cammers, multiple carb Buicks and the like, all create great interest. I'm hoping for something that covers the boats, the drivers and the people involved in the sport. I hope we can keep it to around 250-300 pages.

FOURQ
    I can try and help,My grandpa owned southwind and barry leiverman(sp)Would be a good guy to talk early circle jets and my pops knows the southwind history i dont.That would be cool.I want one. Tim
    i can help too I have alot of the photos that are already scanned to go along with all our history...
    shawn

Nucking futs
    The thread says "race" history, but overall boat manfacturers involvement is very crucial to a good book.
    Well, I remember a few southwinds that have raced before, Drags, Circles, Enduros, Kilo's And come to think of it Southwind provided the rescue boat at Marine Stadium.What kind of history are you looking for??????
    Sorry, maybe next time i will read What the thread is about.....
    "Here's the deal. Who wants a Large hard bound coffee table sized book with tons of photos and historical information from racing info to family ski boat production to the weird one off boats and prototypes?"
    Is this a PROpeller and not a IMpeller thing?
    Tim

superdave013
    Is this a PROpeller and not a IMpeller thing?
    Tim
    sure hope not

kindsangerflats
    Southwind is great information to include. My intentions are to gather as much information on all of the performance boats that became available in the day. There are quite a few good books on boating up until the early sixties, then it drops off when fiberglass took over. Anyone who enjoys these old "lake rods" would love to page through a book that shows the wide variety of boats manufactured and some facts and figures about them. This is not a prop vs. jet thing. I hope for the first book that we can tailor it for a broad overview with some good documention and photography. If all goes well, maybe we can get more advanced with more books in the future....I don't know. Right now, there's great enthusiasm over a book idea....and we must focus gathering great info and photos like you mentioned that you had.

NitroMan
    Just make sure you include "Out a Sight" and I'm in!

VD CRUISER
    I would definately want a book. I too became infected with "ski boat" fever after seeing one in Hot Rod magizine in the sixties. Living on the east coast, we didn't see many V-drives, but I had to have one, and put forth quite an effort to get my first, a 65 Stevens with 427 medium riser. Haven't been without one since.

bonesfab
    too young to contribute much. have one old drag boat mag from the seventies in my collection some where. but count me in for one. the old drag race books are way too cool....

kindsangerflats
    Hey, the young guys are going to be the ones restoring these older boats and keeping the love of these boats alive! Having a great reference book will be nice to have. If you happen to buy another classic in the future, this will give you some instant history on the boat and hopefully some cool photos of boats like yours that popped out of the same molds. The car guys have a billion books to choose from. We have........um.....none???
    So far so good. I have talked to a few "key" people about this project and all have some great information to offer. Many of these people started boat building companies and are willing to preserve and share their history in this book, for that I am grateful. I'm sure we all will be impressed with their contributions.

bigkatboat
    I've got some info, only been around since 1969 but grew up knowing a lot of the 'boat people' from the 1950's auto circle track days. (my dad's friends) Been in the business since 1976, done some interesting projects.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast