Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk About Dead In The Central Zone!

Devilman
    You got any lift on it now? Are those 33's

switchin'addiction
    You got any lift on it now? Are those 33's
    It's got 35's right now w/ a 3" body lift. That's the way it was when I bought it last year, but I just haven't had time to make the changes that I want to get done. I'm sure you know how it is you can plan these things forever. That's why I'm trying to decided on drivetrain changes before I go to swapping out the body lift for a suspension lift. Not sure how high I want to go just yet???

Devilman
    That's one thing about the older Fords. When I got done with that 81( well sold it for the next project) all I ever had was 4" Trailmaster with 3" body lift while running the 40's on 14" wide wheels. If you don't get real retarded, you won't bang the fenders. Just depends how much liquid courage you've got around. Funny how those 2 usually go hand in hand. As far as your tranny/transfer setup, preventative maintenance goes a very long way. Swapping gears would probably be the only thing I'd worry about if I went very big.

switchin'addiction
    You touched on a few things there. If I keep it conservative & go 4" susp & keep 3" body lift then I can go up to where I want to be in tire size. Right now believe it or not I don't rub unless I'm stuffing the tires real hard. Then we get to the re gearing issue....drive train decisions. I don't want to put the cart in front of the horse so I need to figure out where I am going with this. Aww the almight liquid courage....teaches you what your rig is capable of. :wink:

Devilman
    What engine you running?

switchin'addiction

Devilman
    Hell yeah! That's what I had. I miss that Windsor. That was a pretty tough motor. Ran it it plenty hard(not in Beaumont though ) I had 3.73 gears in mine. What are you packin?

switchin'addiction
    Hell yeah! That's what I had. I miss that Windsor. That was a pretty tough motor. Ran it it plenty hard(not in Beaumont though ) I had 3.73 gears in mine. What are you packin?
    No Beaumont runnin' here either. Got 3.55's right now so you can see why I need to get something done with the 35's. I've had worse set ups gearing wise, but I would like to go to a little steeper gear. I was thinking 4.56 if I plan on sticking with the 35's for very long at all. Decisions....

Devilman
    I would just say 4.10s would be plenty good. Definitely not lower than 4.56s.
    Besides, 4.10 would be easier to find in a used rear axle, if you went that way. 4.56 just weren't that common. My '78 has 4.10 in it and it's plenty good. Still pretty good on the highway too, not riding around with it wound up all the time. Although, you have overdrive so you would have the best of both worlds!

switchin'addiction
    I would just say 4.10s would be plenty good. Definitely not lower than 4.56s.
    Besides, 4.10 would be easier to find in a used rear axle, if you went that way. 4.56 just weren't that common. My '78 has 4.10 in it and it's plenty good. Still pretty good on the highway too, not riding around with it wound up all the time. Although, you have overdrive so you would have the best of both worlds!
    I know what your saying that is exactly what I thought at first, but I've had a lot of people tell me I wouldn't be satisfied with the difference from 3.55 to 4.10. Everyone says keep in mind you've got overdrive. F*&k I don't know what route to go....

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast