Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beware of Inaccurate Gas Pumps....

RiverToysJas
    My Letter explains it all....
    Attention:
    County of Orange
    Weights & Measures
    1750 S. Douglas Rd.
    Bldg. D
    Anaheim, CA 92806-6031
    Jason X XXXXXXX
    XXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXX Ave
    Garden Grove, Ca 92845
    Dear OCW&M,
    I would like to make you aware of a situation that occurred yesterday at the following gas station.
    Shell Gas Station
    12571 Valley View
    Garden Grove, Ca 92845
    Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004 I purchased 19.3 gallons of gas from the above-mentioned Shell Gas Station. The total tank capacity of my 2004 Honda Pilot, per the manual (confirmed using on-line sources) is 19.2 gallons. The tank was NOT on empty when I stopped for gas. The needle was reading just under 1/8 of tank, and the low fuel light had just come on 1/2mile before I stopped at the station.
    My vehicle is a 2004 Honda Pilot with 2,420 total miles. Gas mileage on all but one fill-up has been documented. The lowest recorded was 17.7MPG, and the highest was 20.8MPG. Gas mileage for the tank in question was 14.3MPG. Honda, per the window sticker, rates the mileage at 17city, and 22hwy. The most fuel we’ve ever put into the vehicle is 17.115 gallons. In that case the fuel light had been on for over 20 miles.
    On the morning in question I was pumping fuel from pump number 2. The pumping went fine and clicked off once around 16.1 gallons, which is about right. I then pulled handle to fuel slowly until it clicked off again, at which time I usually hang it up. It took over an additional 3 gallons before clicking off again. The pump MIGHT be accurate at a high level of flow, but in my opinion is not accurate at a low level of flow.
    This morning I brought my receipt to the owner of the station, and explain the situation. He told me there is a problem with my fuel tank or the stated capacity is incorrect. He stated that your department checks the pumps for accuracy regularly. He went on to say that in 16 years in business, the pumps have never been wrong! He also didn't care what pump it was, and in my opinion was rather rude about it. In his opinion, this was clearly a problem with me, or the car. Though he may well have owned the station for 16 years, the pumps are fairly new, as this station used to be a Texaco.
    Could someone please contact me to confirm this complaint has been read, and something is being done? I can be reached during the hours of 10am-6pm at 949-718-XXXX.
    Thank you for taking the time to read my complaint.
    Sincerely,
    Jason X XXXXXXX
    Thursday November 4th, 2004.
    (X's added for posting purposes )
    I have also sent a copy that letter to the the Shell Customer Care dept.
    I doubt anything will happen, but it sure pissed me off!!!
    RTJas

Kachina26
    My Letter explains it all....
    Attention:
    County of Orange
    Weights & Measures
    1750 S. Douglas Rd.
    Bldg. D
    Anaheim, CA 92806-6031
    Jason X XXXXXXX
    XXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXX Ave
    Garden Grove, Ca 92845
    Dear OCW&M,
    I would like to make you aware of a situation that occurred yesterday at the following gas station.
    Shell Gas Station
    12571 Valley View
    Garden Grove, Ca 92845
    Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004 I purchased 19.3 gallons of gas from the above-mentioned Shell Gas Station. The total tank capacity of my 2004 Honda Pilot, per the manual (confirmed using on-line sources) is 19.2 gallons. The tank was NOT on empty when I stopped for gas. The needle was reading just under 1/8 of tank, and the low fuel light had just come on 1/2mile before I stopped at the station.
    My vehicle is a 2004 Honda Pilot with 2,420 total miles. Gas mileage on all but one fill-up has been documented. The lowest recorded was 17.7MPG, and the highest was 20.8MPG. Gas mileage for the tank in question was 14.3MPG. Honda, per the window sticker, rates the mileage at 17city, and 22hwy. The most fuel we’ve ever put into the vehicle is 17.115 gallons. In that case the fuel light had been on for over 20 miles.
    On the morning in question I was pumping fuel from pump number 2. The pumping went fine and clicked off once around 16.1 gallons, which is about right. I then pulled handle to fuel slowly until it clicked off again, at which time I usually hang it up. It took over an additional 3 gallons before clicking off again. The pump MIGHT be accurate at a high level of flow, but in my opinion is not accurate at a low level of flow.
    This morning I brought my receipt to the owner of the station, and explain the situation. He told me there is a problem with my fuel tank or the stated capacity is incorrect. He stated that your department checks the pumps for accuracy regularly. He went on to say that in 16 years in business, the pumps have never been wrong! He also didn't care what pump it was, and in my opinion was rather rude about it. In his opinion, this was clearly a problem with me, or the car. Though he may well have owned the station for 16 years, the pumps are fairly new, as this station used to be a Texaco.
    Could someone please contact me to confirm this complaint has been read, and something is being done? I can be reached during the hours of 10am-6pm at 949-718-XXXX.
    Thank you for taking the time to read my complaint.
    Sincerely,
    Jason X XXXXXXX
    Thursday November 4th, 2004.
    (X's added for posting purposes )
    I have also sent a copy that letter to the the Shell Customer Care dept.
    I doubt anything will happen, but it sure pissed me off!!!
    RTJas
    Go back with your own acurate container i.e. 5 gallon gas can and check it. I can tell you that I am currently working with a 2005 GMC Denali that is having filling issues. Due to an onboard vapor recovery system (read smog crap). Worth 10 minutes of your time anyway. I've always wondered about these types of things :notam:

shockwavebd
    Damn jason thats where I get my diesel.............was there this morning ..will have to check this out .thanks for the heads up

Mrs.Racer277
    Go back with your own acurate container i.e. 5 gallon gas can and check it.
    Make sure it is a metal gas can. Plastic cans are not accurate for measuring volume. i.e. they expand and contract regularly. (Mr. R277)

moneysucker
    These pumps are calibrated at full flow to dispense a minimum amount of fuel. This pump is obvoiusly out of calibration. I Build gaws stations and my fueling contractors have told me tha wayto get more for your money is to pump slowly. Since they are done for full flow, more will come out at a slower rate. He said that you can get an extra gallon to 1 1/2 but I will never try since I don't pay for the fuel and I don't have time for the experiment. When it comes to pumping race gas I will try that trick but for now, I get it in drums, hard to screw that up. Weights and measures is usually pretty good about those things. If you call the Mgr. of the station, especially if it is a corp store, they will have them recalibrated. Good that you caught it though.

Havasu Hangin'
    You have a Honda Pilot? :jawdrop:

coolchange
    Hit the gas docks a BV one time and took 20.5 gallons to fill up my 18 gallon boat. Went in and wanted a refund and they just laughed. While they were laughing I laughed too and said weights and measures will be here Monday.

XtrmWakeborder
    Thanks for the heads up man i'm down there every now and then and will try to avoid them.

Mrs.Racer277
    Hit the gas docks a BV one time and took 20.5 gallons to fill up my 18 gallon boat. Went in and wanted a refund and they just laughed. While they were laughing I laughed too and said weights and measures will be here Monday.
    That does not surprise me to hear that story.

MudPumper
    When filling at a hight rate of flow, the fuel can foam causing the pump to shut off sooner because of the foamed fuel. Similar to pouring a soda or a beer into a glass. I've put up to 5 gallons into my diesel after the pump automatically shut off. Ever wonder why race cars have those giant sponge things in the fuel cells. So the fuel doesn't slosh around and foam up.
    Just something to think about.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast