Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plasma or LCD for the home??

LHC30Victory
    Which is a better purchase for a home TV - Plasma or LCD. I know the Plasma are more expensive but what about viewing angle, color, longevity etc?
    What are the top 4 to look at?

ROZ
    It all depends on your budget and what type of viewing you plan to do with it. I'll assume you mean rear projection LCD as LCD flat panels 45" and above are going to be in the 8k to 12k range.
    What I mean by "what you plan to do with it" is that plasma tvs, even though it takes a lot of viewing, do have a chance of burn in, while LCD does not. If you plan to play video games on it all day, plasma is not for you....
    LCD tv's provide a better picture in really bright rooms and some models do have a better viewing angle.
    Plasma screens have a glossy front screen, so glare may be a problem. Viewing angle, while good, is not as broad as some flat panel LCDs.
    I'll finish later...

HP350SC
    I just bought a Sony KF60-WE610 (60" LCD projection) a month ago. Paid $2829(after a lot of negotiation). Took some getting used to when watching standard 4:3 sat. broadcasts. Hooked up 16:9 1080i High definition satellite last night and holy sh.t is it awesome! This TV rocks, and is a bargain IMO. It is being replaced with a newer version so prices reflect that. Another good(if not better) LCD-pro. is the 60" Hitachi ultravision. Store manager said I could buy it for $2529 at Video only. It has a 120w bulb as compared to the Sony's 100w. Samsung actually makes a good DLP TV. Plasma is too much coin for me. BTW, I just found a sat. provider with 27 HD channels called voom. I will be signing up with them. Currently have dishnetwork and there is only 5 HD channels. Here's a picture..
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...31DSC00904.jpg

HP350SC
    http://www.hometheatermag.com/direct...ff/index5.html
    Good review. I don't know why they said black level was mediocre. In real life, when you look at something that is black (like a suit), you can still see the surface. That is how the TV is. I guess they expect the picture to be "dead" in those areas. I find the picture to be flawless, and limited only by the source quality. To each his own I guess. That 65" Toshiba CRT looks cool too. PS, I saw an 82" (Mitsubishi I think it was) LCOS tv at Fry's for 15K and WOW,NICE!

Mrs CP 19
    plasma for us..video games are played on the older tv's

HP350SC
    plasma for us..video games are played on the older tv's
    Yeah you're right. Kids can use old tv's for that. A "small" plasma would make an excellent bedroom tv for parents.
    I think the whole burn-in thing is overstated anyway.

ROZ
    I think the whole burn-in thing is overstated anyway.
    26 or 32" LCD flat panel would be ideal for a kids room...
    Not overstated. I really depends on how long a picture remains stagnent.
    I've already seen several come back with burn in that were in customer's kids playrooms and do nothing but play video games daily for hours and sometimes left them on... one was one of the first Pro 50" Elites from a few years back. I think the customer paid about 13K for it, and it's now burned in :220v: :cry:
    Toshiba produces a DLP that has 2 settings for it's bulb. At 120 and at 100...
    That tv you have there produces a great picture...
    Are those DCM speakers?

Bad2DBone
    We just bought a new Plasma about 3 weeks ago. We bought a JVC unit. it's a 42'' # PD-42v485. Wife wanted something we could mount on the wall above the fireplace. It's not a HD unit though but I think it still looks great.
    We went with the JVC unit because it has a black frame , she didn't like the silver of the Hitachi unit.
    we also picked up a new JVC amp and some Infinity speakers. The speakers are great and sound awesome. Infinity (http://www.infinitysystems.com/homea...rod=TSS-750CHR)
    We had all the stuff mounted by a pro and all the wires are run in wall and under the house. We then had a IR system set-up so all the components are in a seperate room.
    Here is a nice site to look at for reveiws..
    Plasma/LCD guide (http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/)

HP350SC
    26 or 32" LCD flat panel would be ideal for a kids room...
    Not overstated. I really depends on how long a picture remains stagnent.
    I've already seen several come back with burn in that were in customer's kids playrooms and do nothing but play video games daily for hours and sometimes left them on... one was one of the first Pro 50" Elites from a few years back. I think the customer paid about 13K for it, and it's now burned in :220v: :cry:
    Toshiba produces a DLP that has 2 settings for it's bulb. At 120 and at 100...
    That tv you have there produces a great picture...
    Are those DCM speakers?
    Yeah the burn in thing is something to consider, although I have read the newer tv's have made significant improvements.
    That's cool that Toshiba has two settings for bulb.
    My tv is a little dark at mid-brightness settings. They use the same bulb in the smaller Sony's so it works pretty hard in the 60". I just crank it higher, when the bulb goes, it goes.
    Speakers are vintage Infinity RS 4.5's circa 1980. Dual 12" Watkins woofers, 4 EMIM's and 4 EMIT's in each side. Sub is a Velodyne HGS-15 which is 1300watt RMS class D. Really want to get a Mcintosh MX-134 preamp and MC-206power amp. Sony ES-555 receiver has tough time delivering enough power to the front speakers. Min. recommended power is 200w RMS, and an early review I read said their impedance drops real low when driven hard.

ROZ
    They use the same bulb in the smaller Sony's so it works pretty hard in the 60". I just crank it higher, when the bulb goes, it goes.
    Yup, thesame light engine assembly is shared between all of the tv's including the XBR's...
    The sub you have is an impressive one. The remote feature is a big benefit. The output is similar to Martin Logan's 3 10" subwoofer, the descent... HUGE!
    What do you think about the B&K stuff?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast