Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: scat cranks

76cole
    ok so i am thinking about building a blown 496. i see alot of scat cranks on e-bay are the a decent crank? thanks
    76cole :mix:

BrendellaJet
    Try doing a Search. Lots of info on products from overseas...

Wetter the Better
    i just bought one from ebay for my 383 project motor .cant wait till i get it

VelocityDriver
    Made in China, 2 of the local shops say that they are cheap and you will most likely have to have them turned to get everything even. They are not that much cheaper than Eagles.

BrendellaJet
    Scats are machined in the USA. I could be misteken, but I think the eagles are not...

Made in China, 2 of the local shops say that they are cheap and you will most likely have to have them turned to get everything even. They are not that much cheaper than Eagles.
    do you feel that confident to "NOT" have your eagle turned or balanced?
    if im not mistaken,...would'nt it be smart to have anything (involving the rotating assy.) balanced/turned?
    i am by no means someone who knows what their talking about, but this is from learning the hard way!
    todd

Jet City
    For what its worth lots of guys on the 385 Ford forum seem to have had good reliability with both Scat and Eagle. Both should be inpected and balanced by your builder, when I get around to building a 496 I'll most liekly use a Scat crank, fine for the power levels I'll be dealing with.

GofastRacer
    Guys think about it, regardless what MFG(even a GM) it is none are machined to your application(they don't know what you're building) so who cares about the machine work. You buy a crank and measure it up and make the corrections and detail it acording to your application, that's how you make them live. They come standard size and should be turned 10/10 anyhow to slow the bearing speed down!..

Infomaniac
    Guys think about it, regardless what MFG(even a GM) it is none are machined to your application(they don't know what you're building) so who cares about the machine work. You buy a crank and measure it up and make the corrections and detail it acording to your application, that's how you make them live. They come standard size and should be turned 10/10 anyhow to slow the bearing speed down!..
    It's cheaper to use high speed bearings.

GofastRacer
    It's cheaper to use high speed bearings.
    True but you still have to make the corrections unless you hit it lucky and it measures up right, and I don't just mean bearing clearances, the stroke can be off also(a lot of them are) which can be corrected when turned 10/10!..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast