Thread: First day of boating 2002!

JETBOAT BRIAN
    Holy Shit!!!!
    What a start to the new boating season for me !
    Had to work at the brewery day shift but proboats owner took the boat to his house for me to pick up after work.
    They were installing my puke tank doing some pump setup issues,and installing a water valve so I could build a little heat in the motor and cut down on the pressure!I get the boat and head home gas up fill the cooler and head for the lake
    Usual jackasses at the ramp with boats they have not started since last season
    25 min later the edge is in the water I get in and off we go for a cruise.We go idling out past the no wake zone ,wife driving and she says should I take it easy being its the first trip this year?
    I said #### no hit it ....as I am a big fan of them top fueler like starts that jetboats are capable of !
    We blast off and get about 500 yards and a wall of water comes rushing down between the tunnels !!!..
    I tell the wife to head to shore and turn on the pumps!
    I open the hatch and there is water 1 ft deep in my engine bay and shit splashing everywhere. We get to shore and I find that my new water valve on the inlet side had the hose blow off and the pumping began. I have my finger in the hose and the pumps empty the bilge. Cant find any hose clamp.But I did get a nice tatoo burned on my upper inner arm looking for it It's sort of in the shape of a Jackass....how fitting.Its at this time I notice that my pretty painted teal green headers without water for even a short time burn to a crisp!Hence the new tatoo! By this time im sure my head was purple.
    I shove the hose back on and we idle back to the dock, hatch up, me sitting on the swim steps holding the hose in place. As were limping in I look over to find a ski boat full of youths pointing and laughing at my predicament
    I will be back tomorrow to mete out some place diverter justice on them boys
    Get the boat back on the trailer finally and get it home I also had the trim pump and cylinder replaced and the pump is bad it wont hold in the up position !!
    After we get home and I finish explaining to my wife that boating IS fun I look for and find their skinny clamp in the shape of an egg under my engine !!
    Called the shop owner and expressed some displeasure at his choice of clamps and or failure to tighten them!
    I put another clamp on and we will try again tomorrow and then next week I will have to bead blast and repaint the headers
    We are also going to replace every hose hose, barb and clamp, in the boat !!
    I share this embarrasing moment in time with you to serve as a reminder to always check behind folks that work on your stuff.Lest your boat become some fishermans artificial reef!I should have and normally before I even go to the lake I try to go around tightening header bolts line clamps ect !
    Today I didnt and almost sunk my pride and joy!
    It would also be a good Idea to either have your vests on or #### close It was hard to believe how fast that boat filled with water !!!
    PS the puke tank looked Bitchen!If it does not sink tomorrow I will post some pictures~!
    AND how was your Saturday!

Jungle Boy
    Sounds like fun. The first ride after someone else has worked on your boat is always an adventure. I had to beach mine in a icey river bank about 4 years ago after a hose was not tightened up too. It makes a guy appreciate the good rides alot more.
    JB

gigamurph
    Dude! See my post over at Barney's if ya haven't already! I'm too friggin' lazy to type it again! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
    [This message has been edited by gigamurph (edited May 25, 2002).]

jetblue
    If you want it done right, you've got to do it yourself, but then when things do F### up, you can't point a finger. Glad you did'nt sink.....

JETBOAT BRIAN
    Painted,water jacketed headers .....after a few seconds without water....ouch!!!
    http://www.havasubarney.com/iB_html/...0-DSCF0005.JPG

JETBOAT BRIAN
    This is the puke tank that I bought from plasticman31 who advertised tanks scoops and valve covers right here on this board!
    His work is excellent and I am very happy with the results!!!
    Plasticman31@aol.com.....for your quality hand built aluminum items!!!!
    http://www.havasubarney.com/iB_html/...8-DSCF0001.JPG

JETBOAT BRIAN

flat broke
    Brian,
    That sucks ass. I'm sorry your first outing went so poorly. But in looking at the pictures, one thing comes to mind... It can always be worse. At least the rubber exhaust hose didn't melt and allow the water to come in via 2 4" holes. Either way, that puke tank looks good as does the rest of your boat. Good luck re'painting the headers and getting the boat cleaned up.
    Talk to you later,
    Chris