Thread: Freeze plugs

JetboatJon454
    2 of my freeze plugs fell out over winter storage and I noticed they are 1 3/4. Are there any different steps for marine setups as for replacing the freeze plugs? This is on a 454ci chevy.

mister460
    How the hell did they "fall out"??!?!?! They're usually in there pretty tight.

Slick
    Sounds to me like your block froze. Was it completely winterized? Hopefully that's the only thing that happened.

Snowboat
    Jetboat;it sounds like slick is right since you live where its cold. I live in Wyoming and have to be very careful. Look below the freeze plugs with a flashlight and a mirror. See if any paint has cracked off, or there is a rust line at the same level as an inch or so below the botom of the frost plug hole. If there is, you'll have to go shopping.

JetboatJon454
    Originally posted by Snowboat:
    Jetboat;it sounds like slick is right since you live where its cold. I live in Wyoming and have to be very careful. Look below the freeze plugs with a flashlight and a mirror. See if any paint has cracked off, or there is a rust line at the same level as an inch or so below the botom of the frost plug hole. If there is, you'll have to go shopping.
    Yeah there is a bit of rust inside the block where the freeze plugs fit in. What am I going to have to go shopping for, I hope your not talking about a new block? The only winterizing I did was put fogging oil in the plug holes that's it. What else is there? I fired up the motor a couple days ago seemed to be running fine.

gnarley
    Originally posted by JetboatJon454:
    [B] The only winterizing I did was put fogging oil in the plug holes that's it. What else is there?B]
    Are you kidding??? http://plauder-smilies.com/sad/smhair1.gif What else is there? http://plauder-smilies.com/sad/smhair1.gif Do you drive your car in the winter and leave it overnight with out Anti-freeze for protection? With the boat you better drain all the water you can from anywhere it could freeze and crack something. Or dump lots or marine anti-freeze in the system somehow and make sure it mixes with the water in the block and drive before you put it away for the winter or chance the freezing didn't crack something and if it did it will be expensive!

Blown509Liberator
    Yikes!!!........
    JBJ
    Being here in chicago area also , here is how I winterize my Boat.-- I run the engine and fog it with fogging oil. I have T/T exhaust so the rest is done with the motor NOT running. I remove the Small plugs from the side of block and let all the water and sand drain from the block then I flush it with a garden hose. I then pull the water intake house from the pump attach one of those Pump that go into a drill and start pumping Antifreeze I just keep pumping till it comes out the exhaust and then shut the Gate valve. Next I pump new oil into rear shaft Bearing. Being in Chicago this is very impotent If there is any water in that cavity it will break out the back of the bowl. I also pump a little antifreeze in the intake of the pump for good measure. this has worked for me for the past 10yr I have had Jet boats. Now that my boat sits in a warm garage I still do it up the same way.. Just in case

spectras only
    JBJ454,run your engine at the dock for 20 minutes,shut the engine off and check the dipstick for discoloration.If it's clear you're OK,if it looks like you're ready to serve Irish Bailey's ,you're in trouble.Hope your water jacketed exh manifolds didn't develop internal cracks. You can have that pressure tested at marine shops .

Dans66Stevens
    I really hope this guy is just Kidding... If he really let the boat sit all winter full of water. Id like to see how he does at the launch ramp......

JetboatJon454
    Very funny.....who made you Roger Ebert? I'm asking for help and opinions not criticism thanks have a nice day. =)