Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: manley rods

Moneypitt
    Bob, (fiat), we too have had problems with the manleys breaking. I refered to the additional weight in the rotating assembly as a fact. When we switched this time,(away from 6 usable Manleys), we lost 97 grams per rod. Multiply that X8 and thats alot of mass to get rid of. I'm not saying they won't spin up, they will, but running 7500 plus for 5 miles takes it's toll. Buzzing a motor for short distances is not really a good test, even if its a 1/4 mile, it aint the same...............Ray

steelcomp
    I've heard the same things about the Man's, but didn't want to come across as a "naysayer"...figured it may have been the source of the information and not the rod. That's why I was asking about who makes the Callies rod. Ray's right about the xcess weight, and IMO, "H" beam rods have their issues, anyway. In the long run, "I" beam rods are a better choice, but for the $$, the "H" beams seem to hold up.
    Pat, you're doing it right. It took me over a year to build my 467. The rods are one place I keep my fingers crossed. What rods are you getting from Flatlander?

Infomaniac
    Ron, do you know who makes the Callies rods? Are they American? They're nice rods, and a decent price. The bolt upgrade alone is worth $100+.
    Did'nt see that.
    Callies makes them. They are import forgings. They machine them. I use them quite a bit. Have 2 pair in 12.5:1 blown injected alcohol engines. Both 522 CID Never had to touch them machine work wise.
    Web Site (http://www.compstarcomponents.com/connecting_rods.html)
    I have used a bunch of import forged rods. Ohio Crank rods need some attention and so do Eagle. But in the words of one of these two suppliers "theres a little get what you pay for there"

steelcomp
    Did'nt see that.
    Callies makes them. They are import forgings. They machine them. I use them quite a bit. Have 2 pair in 12.5:1 blown injected alcohol engines. Both 522 CID Never had to touch them machine work wise.
    Web Site (http://www.compstarcomponents.com/connecting_rods.html)
    I have used a bunch of import forged rods. Ohio Crank rods need some attention and so do Eagle. But in the words of one of these two suppliers "theres a little get what you pay for there"
    I added that part of the post later...figured you missed it.
    Thanks for the link.

steelcomp i am useing the eagle h beam rods with the L19 bolt upgrade. part # CRS63853DL19. i almost have everything i need to build the engine now. the rods and pistons were the last item i needed. i have a stock g.m. steel crank to use but that may change to something else. when i get everything i will post up all the items with their part #'s and see what the opions are.
    pat(slotracer) :idea:

steelcomp
    steelcomp i am useing the eagle h beam rods with the L19 bolt upgrade. part # CRS63853DL19. i almost have everything i need to build the engine now. the rods and pistons were the last item i needed. i have a stock g.m. steel crank to use but that may change to something else. when i get everything i will post up all the items with their part #'s and see what the opions are.
    pat(slotracer) Sounds good. I've heard some say that the ARP2000 upgrade isn't worth the money when you can go with the L19's for only a few bucks more, and the L19 is definately a better bolt. Just make sure they (the L19's) stay DRY if they're going to sit for a while, as L19 isn't tolerant of any moisture. A good coat of oil will do.
    Keep us posted.
    Callies makes them. They are import forgings. They machine them. I use them quite a bit. Have 2 pair in 12.5:1 blown injected alcohol engines. Both 522 CID Never had to touch them machine work wise. Thanks Ron...that's good to know.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123