Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Street legal golf carts?

djunkie
    So I finally got a golf cart for the house in Havasu. Gonna customize it as a winter project. My question is who drives theres on the streets in havasu and do you all have them registered? Or does it not really matter. I plan on putting lights and everything on it but should I go the extra step and register it. Also what exactly do you need to get it registered?

Sun burners
    Good Question!
    I hope to get one soon.

charlyox
    Ask the Boatcop

jdogginla
    I think that the Gem Cars are the only ones that are "street legal" and are required to be registered by the DMV. The E-Z Go Golf carts are not street legal unless in a gated community. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

welk2party
    Not sure about Havasu but in Nevada it is. My Dad has en ez-go registered with the DMV and is street legal. He has mirrors and lights and plates.

Boatcop
    Golf Carts can be registered as a motor vehicle as long as they have the required safety features, such as lights, brake lights, horn, mirrors, etc.
    There are exemptions for safety glass, seat belts, and windshield wipers, but I think most of the other stuff is required.
    Best thing to do is trailer it down to the MVD and they'll tell you what you need.

Racer277
    Thanks for the info BC,
    Can the process still be used to license a dirt bike in AZ?

Dawn Patrol
    Golf Carts can be registered as a motor vehicle as long as they have the required safety features, such as lights, brake lights, horn, mirrors, etc.
    There are exemptions for safety glass, seat belts, and windshield wipers, but I think most of the other stuff is required.
    Best thing to do is trailer it down to the MVD and they'll tell you what you need.
    Boatcop,
    I bought a cart here in California, it has a License plate, Lights front & rear, but no brake lights or mirrors. The BLM ran the plate when we were at Emerald Cove, and said it was legal to drive in areas where the speed limit is 25 mph or less. Would this cart be legal in Arizona?

stoker
    I have one that I drive in Costa Mesa (CA) all the time. I took it to the police department to see what I needed to do to make it legal. They said as long as it does not exceed 15 mph and I keep it on streets poted 25 or less I am O.K. I always see cops when I am out and about and they never even look twice. They also said it falls under the same rules as a scooter and what ever I do keep it off the sidewalks!

Mrs CP 19
    I think that the Gem Cars are the only ones that are "street legal" and are required to be registered by the DMV. The E-Z Go Golf carts are not street legal unless in a gated community. I could be wrong but I don't think so.
    My mom lives on a golf course, but does not have direct access to the course for her cart. She drives to the clubhouse in the cart (along with everyone else) There is even a marked 'golf cart lane' on the streets in her area. It does not have to be a gated community. We drive our cart all over the place in Mohave Valley and have never had a problem. Also, you can drive a cart around town as long as you are in a 25 MPH area.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast