Thread: GPS units

Ziggy
    I was wondering what you all would recommend for general purposes? Its for my son, something that functions ok but isn't neccessarily top of the line.
    Brands that are reliable and work satisfactorily.
    Any input would be appreciated.

77charger
    check out the garmin e trex series they have basi to ones that have maps small and compact and can take abuse.

I bought the Magellan Sport Color at Costco for $199 and did the basics..... but I wanted detailed maps for it and the software is like 165... I took it back and bought the Meggellan Meridian Color from Costco for 349, comes with the Mapsend direct route, and other nick nacks... It is by far the best price out there.... that is my .02

ColeTR1
    Here is a good link for GPS Stuff (http://www.cycoactive.com/default.htm) I was looking getting one for my dirt bike

Midlife Advantage
    check out the garmin e trex series they have basi to ones that have maps small and compact and can take abuse.
    thats the one I have, Etrex legend. great unit, small, handheld, (easy girls) and it links with my laptop to download maps for regions from diff types of software/sports. about $299

mike37
    wall mart has some for under $100 bucks
    that give very accurate readings
    but the map part that you see on screan is pore
    they will give you a good point of direction

WUTWZAT
    I just purchased the Garmin E-trexs, if I had to go over again, I would have bought the next model up. Don't get me wrong, I bought the yellow E-Trex which works great, but for a little more money I could use mapping software with it. Check out www.garmin.com it may shed a little more light on it.
    I have only one question, How do I recall last top speed on this little unit. I keep going throught all the menus but don't see anything related and the manual doesn't reference this. But I have seen others recall and there is a reset for it. So you gotta be able to recall, right?
    Jason

FRENCHIE
    i agree...........i gots the garmin extrex vista...great unit ...use it at the lake all the time!!! not to mention it gave me a 73.8 m.p.h. last summer at needles!!!! :hammer2: