Thread: spin'n that jet by hand

AntRant
    I notice in some forums you guys talk about spinning the jet by hand (motor disconnected ofcourse). I tryed but mine didn't turn. Should it spinn freely or with a little force? Does this mean its time to rebuild? How do you know whene to rebuild. And who should i have do my Berk JE? What does that cost??
    [This message has been edited by AntRant (edited November 27, 2001).]

DOHARA
    Ant, my pump turns freeley by hand, no super easy but with mild effort. Try pulling up and down on shaft to see if it has any major play.Who else to call but jack at mpd in costa mesa...RA,RA,RA,RA. GIVE ME A M, GIVE ME A P, GIVE ME A D, CHET WAHT DOES THAT SPELL? Good luck with pump.
    DANO

HBjet
    I can spin mine with almost no effort. Spinned a wheel on a car when it's off the ground should take more effort then the pump would. Call Jack or a pump builder you prefer.
    HBjet

spectras only
    AntRant, what the guys mean is,spinning the shaft by hand without packing gland !When I rebuild a pump completely [everything new],you can turn the shaft by your fingers,before you start loading the thrust bearing with grease.After the bearing is lubed,you can still turn the shaft easily with your hand.I pre soak the packing glands with lubricant ,and snug the packing gland to the point when it starts the shaft to turn a little harder.When the pump installed in the boat,you start the engine,water should trickle through the gland and slowly tighten the nylock nuts evenly until you only see a drop a minute.After the gland broken in, you may have to readjust it.Make sure you always have some drops coming through,since that's what lubricates the shaft.It's better to have some water coming through, than replacing the shaft too soon.

AntRant
    DOHARA,can you or anybody else get a phone # for these places that rebuild Berks. It's a little diffulcult for me to locate these company's, me being in New York and all

DOHARA
    Antrant, MPD's phone # is 949-631-2040. Also another good pump guy is GS marine(greg shoemaker) in corona 909-272-6060, either shop is really good.
    dano

Boater Bill
    Here's some more #'s for performance jet guys on the west coast:
    R & D Marine Anaheim 714 993-2664
    ARS Bakersfield 661 398-0242
    Walts Hot Boats I think he is in Fresno, don't have the # but he has a web site.
    Closer to you is Don's Pump Service in Ohio
    614 488-1335. Also if you check some posts by Blowndragboat you can find his email address and maybe contact him for shops closer to you as I think he is close to east coast area. Hope this helps.

ChetCapoli
    Glad to see another new york dude for a change! If your in NY here is the "only number and shop" you should know about. C.B.M. (877)JET-PUMP. and ask for Ted.
    Chet.
    P.S. guys?...how'd i do?? Did i pass my first cheerleading class or what?