Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pulling a travel trailer

al cole'holic
    ...oops, guess not everyone has an 8.1L Suburban

Sleek-Jet
    Well, since we are on this subject, anyone know the rules on pulling a triple set up in Arizona.
    I really don't want to buy a camper, so I'm looking at buying a small 5th wheel (24 foot range) and pulling the boat (an 18' flat) behind that. The boat trailer has surge brakes.
    I'll be using my Toyota to pull all this with....
    .... j/k, I've got an 85 GMC 3/4 ton, manual tranny.

Jordy
    Well, since we are on this subject, anyone know the rules on pulling a triple set up in Arizona.
    The first trailer has to be 5th wheel or gooseneck. I believe it also has to have brakes. The overall length of the entire rig has to be under 65' I think. Other than that, it's standard trailer stuff with the lights, etc.

Sleek-Jet
    Thanks.
    Anyone know if there is a CDL requirement in AZ like there is in Cali??

Jordy
    Thanks.
    Anyone know if there is a CDL requirement in AZ like there is in Cali??
    No CDL requirement if you're in a pickup.
    Here is the information from the Arizona Revised Statutes:
    28-1095. Vehicle length; exceptions; permits; rules; definition
    (G)
    3. A recreational vehicle may pull two units if all of the following conditions are met:
    (a) The middle unit is equipped with a fifth wheel and brakes and has a weight equal to or greater than the rear unit.
    (b) If the rear unit has a gross weight of three thousand pounds or more, it is equipped with brakes.
    (c) The total combined gross weight of the towed units does not exceed the manufacturer's stated gross vehicle weight of the towing unit.
    H. For purposes of this section, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle that is designed and customarily used for private pleasure, including vehicles commonly called motor homes, pickup trucks with campers and pickup trucks with a fifth wheel trailing device.

dicudmore
    You forgot to mention, make sure your health insurance is paid up. I wouldn't worry about your vehicle insurance, because, in the event you need it, they're going to look at your rig and the trailer you had behind it and deny your claim anyway.
    true that

Sleek-Jet
    Thanks Jordy... :clover:

riverroyal
    i tow a 30ft toy hauler about 10k with gear with my 02 excursion V10 2wd with airbags,load dist,sway bars etc,,,,,,im maxed out,can be scary at times,,,also the tranny in your truck wont last long

Essex29
    you talkin about the white crew cab duramax?? gimme some info
    ...hey you and I have a little history on buying/selling, you should check out my truck

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234