If you're from:
    Germany you're Geman
    France = French
    England = English
    Costa Rica = Costa Rican
    Cuba = Cuban
    Mexico = Mexican
    Spain = Spanish
    Where does latino and hispanic come in? Is this like chinese-amercian or something?

cdog
    If you're from:
    Germany you're Geman
    France = French
    England = English
    Costa Rica = Costa Rican
    Cuba = Cuban
    Mexico = Mexican
    Spain = Spanish
    Where does latino and hispanic come in? Is this like chinese-amercian or something?
    I love how white people these days act like calling a mexican a mexican is an insult. My mother in law calls them spanish and then I ask her if their from Spain. She then looks at me confused.

Backtanner
    I have spanish friends who would crack your jaw if called mexican and likewise mexican friends who would do the same if called spanish.

fat rat
    I quess it would be the same comparision as Native American and American Indian.

djunkie
    I think everyone should where a name tag with their ethnic background on it. "Hi my name is Dave and I am white." :hammerhea

MR.T
    Hi, My name is Mike and I am Californian.

ROZ
    If you're from:
    Germany you're Geman
    France = French
    England = English
    Costa Rica = Costa Rican
    Cuba = Cuban
    Mexico = Mexican
    Spain = Spanish
    You're exactly right. It means the person was born in the US, but is of that descent...

1stepcloser
    Hispanic
    ADJECTIVE:
    1. Of or relating to Spain or Spanish-speaking Latin America.
    2. Of or relating to a Spanish-speaking people or culture.
    NOUN:
    1. A Spanish-speaking person.
    2. A U.S. citizen or resident of Latin-American or Spanish descent.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ETYMOLOGY:
    Latin Hispnicus, from Hispnia Spain
    Usage Note:
    Though often used interchangeably in American English, Hispanic and Latino are not identical terms, and in certain contexts the choice between them can be significant. Hispanic, from the Latin word for "Spain," has the broader reference, potentially encompassing all Spanish-speaking peoples in both hemispheres and emphasizing the common denominator of language among communities that sometimes have little else in common. Latinowhich in Spanish means "Latin" but which as an English word is probably a shortening of the Spanish word latinoamericanorefers more exclusively to persons or communities of Latin American origin. Of the two, only Hispanic can be used in referring to Spain and its history and culture; a native of Spain residing in the United States is a Hispanic, not a Latino, and one cannot substitute Latino in the phrase the Hispanic influence on native Mexican cultures without garbling the meaning. In practice, however, this distinction is of little significance when referring to residents of the United States, most of whom are of Latin American origin and can theoretically be called by either word.·A more important distinction concerns the sociopolitical rift that has opened between Latino and Hispanic in American usage. For a certain segment of the Spanish-speaking population, Latino is a term of ethnic pride and Hispanic a label that borders on the offensive. According to this view, Hispanic lacks the authenticity and cultural resonance of Latino, with its Spanish sound and its ability to show the feminine form Latina when used of women. Furthermore, Hispanic, the term used by the U.S. Census Bureau and other government agencies is said to bear the stamp of an Anglo establishment far removed from the concerns of the Spanish-speaking community. While these views are strongly held by some, they are by no means universal, and the division in usage seems as related to geography as it is to politics, with Latino widely preferred in California and Hispanic the more usual term in Florida and Texas. Even in these regions, however, usage is often mixed, and it is not uncommon to find both terms used by the same writer or speaker.

1stepcloser
    Latino
    NOUN:
    pl. La·ti·nos
    1. A Latin American.
    2. A person of Hispanic, especially Latin-American, descent, often one living in the United States. See Usage Note at Hispanic.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ETYMOLOGY:
    Short for Spanish latinoamericano, Latin-American, from latino, Latin, from Latin Latnus ; see Latin
    OTHER FORMS:
    La·tino (Adjective)

If you're from:
    Germany you're Geman
    France = French
    England = English
    Costa Rica = Costa Rican
    Cuba = Cuban
    Mexico = Mexican
    Spain = Spanish
    I hear you KF.
    but I've never heard a person from Germany called a Geman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast