Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DCB w/ Twin OB's

Blacksheep
    I have been doing alot of searching on the boards on DCB and Ultra trying to find anything and everything to help me make a decision.
    I'd like to hear anyone's opinion/experience with 26' DCB with twin Merc 2.5s or 300X's. Perfermance (Top speed, acceleration, ride, etc) and what kind of insurance rates one can expect with a 26' cat with twin outboards?
    I'll be out in San Diego in Jan and plan on visiting DCB and Ultra, but I'd like to here from any of the "customers" who either own one with the outboards, or have riden in one. I'm deciding between the Ultra 27 Shadow and 26' DCB and of course OB's versus I/O.
    All but 1 boat I have owned have been OB's so it's just another decision on top of what manufacturer. The 27 Shadow would probably be powered by the MV-10 Viper engine and the DCB likely twin 300X's. I'm more interested in acceleration vs top end.
    Any comments on the performance and insurance would be much appreciated.

RandyH
    Those two boats are pretty different to compare. But both companies are top notch. I did business with Ultra long distance and couldn't be happier. Good Luck,
    RandyH

mbrown2
    I tried to answer your question in the sandbar section...

HavasuDreamin'
    Couple of things to consider.....the 2.5's like to rev. and are better performers on light boats. The 300X's are more torque oriented which is better for heavier loads like a 26' tunnel with full interior.
    On the I/O, you will go through drives with anything more than stock HP unless you go #6 or Wiseman. It is not a question of if, but when. Factor that into your purchase.
    Also, if you opt for a V-10, the aftermarket performance products will be significantly more limited. Make sure the stock V-10 is enough for you.
    Good Luck.

Blacksheep
    Looks like after some info I got from John West...I think we are going with the Ultra. The V-10 sounds like it will provide the punch.
    Looking forward to seeing visiting John and Ultra in Jan!!

Bella
    There is a 26' DCB on sllekcrafts website www.sleekcraft.com in there used inventory.

andy01
    That v-10 makes a ton of torque. I spoke with a boat manuf. that ran two boats side by side one with v-10's and one with 525's. They said the v-10 with 550hp out ran the other boat by about 7 boat links. Huge difference in acceleration. Both 35' Vees. If you do the Ultra with the v-10 I think you will be very happy, it's a big cat.
    Andy

Havasu Cig
    I have owned both. The 26 with the O/B's was more fun IMO, but had reliability problems with the 2.5's. The boats feel nothing like one another. The O/B boat gets a nice aired out light feeling while the I/O feels more stuck to the water.
    With the I/O though you can always go faster by adding more hp. With the O/B's it is a little tougher. If you can live with speeds in the 95-110 area the O/B's would prbably work well for you. Another down side to the O/B's is they are really affected by weight. My boat went from a 106 mph boat to a 95 mph boat when you loaded it down.
    With the V-10 you should be ok with an XR as long as you don't hammer it. I ran about 800 hp through mine and did not have a problem. The weight of the boat is not to significant so the drives seem to be able to handle more.

mbrown2
    I have owned both. The 26 with the O/B's was more fun IMO, but had reliability problems with the 2.5's. The boats feel nothing like one another. The O/B boat gets a nice aired out light feeling while the I/O feels more stuck to the water.
    With the I/O though you can always go faster by adding more hp. With the O/B's it is a little tougher. If you can live with speeds in the 95-110 area the O/B's would prbably work well for you. Another down side to the O/B's is they are really affected by weight. My boat went from a 106 mph boat to a 95 mph boat when you loaded it down.
    With the V-10 you should be ok with an XR as long as you don't hammer it. I ran about 800 hp through mine and did not have a problem. The weight of the boat is not to significant so the drives seem to be able to handle more.
    Good assessment...that is exactly my feelings between the two.

needforspeed
    Bottom line is that the Ultra, being a heavier boat and with only 550hp is barely going to crack 80mph, while the DCB with OB's will go 100 plus. You'll need about 850 hp to push the Ultra to that speed and then the drive problems will start. Off course this all assumes you want to go 100 mph. As for the OB's go with 300X's, they are more friendly the 2.5's.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast