Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Flotation

Not Twice
    I am currently redoing my sub-floor and have removed all of the foam and do not want to put it back in. Does anyone know were you can buy any of these pillows or airbags? My concern is the durability of the bags over time, bouncing and rubbing against the hull.

dmontzsta
    I have also told the guy's that I run with to have a rope ready. I am planning on having a 100' rope with a float on one end & a hook on the other. If it turns ugly even with floatation it can still go down. But it should give you time to hook the rope to the bow eye.
    I have pulled a jet up from the bottom & had it floating with the pump missing, The driveline let go, broke the intake & ejected the pump out the back. luckily the 19' boat sunk in 19' of water. We hooked onto it & got it up on plane. Then across the lake to next to the trailer. Winched the boat back onto the trailer. Amazingly enough after all that the reverse cable never let go. the newly rebuilt pump was not lost.
    That is a damn good idea too, going to have to use that one.

CrdStang
    You can always fill in under the floor with ping pong balls. Assuming you can find them cheap.
    They won't absorb water and rot out the stringers like foam, and they're not messy either.

BLEWBAYOU1
    My Eliminator Bubble deck Has two large plastic bags full of peanut sized foam.With that and being the bow area is somewhat airtight with the deck and bulkhead glassed together I think it would be able to keep the bow above water,at least long enough for recovery.
    Brian

LUVNLIFE
    Mine has foam blown in the sponsons. But I think an innertube is in order also.

1978 Rogers
    Was putting flotation a standard thing to do? I have a 1978 Rogers Bonn. My bow is closed off with a carpeted piece of plywood. I've never taken it out, so I have no idea whats up in the bow.
    Any help?

HammerDown
    You can always fill in under the floor with ping pong balls.
    Uh, are you serious?

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
    Flotation is not done by any manufactures I know of. The main purpose For some kind of floatation device is put into the bow, is where the rubrail is mounted on the boat, all the air pocketed in the bow will escape thur the mounting holes for the rubrail. The inner tube traps the air so it can't leak out. Budlight

BLEWBAYOU1
    Flotation is not done by any manufactures I know of. The main purpose For some kind of floatation device is put into the bow, is where the rubrail is mounted on the boat, all the air pocketed in the bow will escape thur the mounting holes for the rubrail. The inner tube traps the air so it can't leak out. Budlight
    My Eliminator has the peanut foamed plastic bags in the bow from the factory.I'm the second owner And I know the original.
    Brian

moneysucker
    All of my south wind drag tunnels had the plastic balloons, my tahiti had a fuel tank in the bow which would have helped it sink. My Crusader DT had some brain surgeon fill popcorn tubs with expanding float foam and shoved them through a hole that he cut with a hole saw in the bulkhead.
    Anyone who boats where the water is deep flotation is a good idea. If you aren't going fast enough to have the boat grenade the rope and floaty would work. Though, at Martinez I have watched the cops tell a boat that was towinf a sinking hydro to stop and sank it at the end of the fuel dock. as the tow boat tried in a panic to bring it up again the tow rope broke. When a friend of mine tried to hook to the bow eye to get it up the cops told him, "If you touch that boat you will be arrested."

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast