Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: WHY IS MY BOAT SO SLOW!!!!

1000mhz
    Hey fellows, Im hoping somebody can help me out here. I just bought my Taylor 18' with built 454/berk E pump/Jetovator. When I first got the boat, the bowl was pulled off the pump. There was no impeller and there was a lot of missing hardware. Not to familiar with pumps, I took it all off and gave it to ADM boatworks (banner above). There shop is close to me. Before I got on the internet I just told him to make things right for me (trust). He told me he would rebuild it and sale me a used A impeller in good shape. He said a new impeller runs about $380.00, But he would sale me his for 280.00. Im running off the subject here but im a little pissed because after net shopping I found that I can get "NEW" the pitch of my choice for the same amount as his used A. He also sold me the reverse and jetovator cable linkage for $68.00, after shopping around I found those pieces for 8.00 each. what an a$$ hole. Anyway, I take my boat out after replacing a couple freeze plugs and installing the pump and I must say, I am very unhappy with the results. I was told by the owner that this boat was a 70mph boat. I know alot of people pump up there boat on a sale but im not getting anywhere near that at all. The built 454 is pushin a very clean and impressive 5,000 RPM but the boat is moving at a very unimpressive 40 mph. Now this boat looks and feels like it wants to go a lot faster than that. I dont feel cavitation and even checked to make sure I didnt suck anything up. It just isnt moving water. To make sure I was sucking a plentiful amount of water I cranked the diverter up for a sweet rooooooster witch indeed made a huge rainbow. But when i stuff the bow back in the water, the boat just does not want to move like it should. Any suggestions on things to try would be great. I think I will be doing any and all work to my boat myself from now on. Did I get jipped on my pump rebuild? I need some help here, leaving wednesday for Havasu!

1000mhz
    Thanks in advance for any comments I really can use the help. dont want them small blocks beating me at havy this weekend!

riverlover
    Did you check to make sure the anchor is in the boat? Just kidding, I will defer to OldRigger. He knows everything and even some stuff about boats. If I had to guess I would say pump problem and you are probably saying, "no sh!t Sherlock"
    Sorry I can't help much?
    RL

1000mhz
    Thanks riverlover,
    I do have to admit. I was looking around for thee old anchor, or my fat ass wife being dragged behind the boat. Hoping for some reason but found nothing, the bitch was still right next to me, yelling for slower speeds. SLOWER SPEEDS! Wait until the boat is running like it should. Slower speeds will then be the boats top speed now!
    COW!!!!!
    Yes, I take my anger out on my wife......
    But its fun that way.

1000mhz
    Sorry honey, I love you
    (she made me say that)

E_S_K_I_M_O2
    DID YOU CHECK TO SEE WHAT CUT IMPELLER YOU HAVE.

flat broke
    To clarify one thing, you will run faster with your diverter up, not down. Down forces the hull into the water, wetting more surface area and slowing you down. Too far up, obviously looks great, but doesn't usually get you your best numbers. Try running for numbers with the diverter 1 click or so above neutral, then go up from there until you see a speed loss.
    Now on to your performance. I feel for ya as 5000RPM does not equate to 40 mph with an A cut. Check to make sure your hand hole cover is tight so you are not sucking air. Also let us know what kind of grate you are running on your intake. It could be that there is some sort of oddball grate in there blocking some of your H2O flow. Was the 40mph measured by GPS? The reason I ask is that some boat speedos can be pretty inaccurate, though I have never heard of 20 mph off. I can tell you that with a similar hull (19' eliminator bubble deck) we were easily hitting 62 (GPS) with a tired 460 and a pump that was definitely sloppy. The only other thing I can think of which is pretty hard to check is the impeller clearance. If you don't mind pulling your transom ring and bowl, you can easily(or should be able to) check the impeller clearance against the wear ring. The other post might also be correct. There is a possiblity that you do not have an A cut impeller. As an example, my Dad and Brother's Caribbean has a Hardin 330hp 454 that will only pull 4200 with an A cut. 5000k on a similar engine would have to mean either a VERY sloppy pump or a smaller pitch impeller. I have not had any dealings with ADM, so I can't say anything about their service. But (and please don't say anything Chet) if you get exasperated and can't figure out what the hell is wrong, Give Jack at MPD a call. He is in Costa Mesa so you're not too far away. He's a sharp guy, comes highly recommended, and is extremely professional. Good luck to you with your setup and congrats on getting a Jet. Post some pics when you get a chance.
    Chris
    [This message has been edited by flat broke (edited August 24, 2001).]

DOHARA
    I HEAR YOUR THOUGHT ON ADM. I LIVE IN HUNTINGTON AND I'VE CALLED JUST TO ASK A QUESTION ABOUT JET STUFF AND MOTOTR STUFF AND THEY ARE MAJOR JERKS ON PHONE. I WAS GOING TO GO DOWN TO CHECK THEM OUT BUT AFTER PHONE CONVERSATIONS WITH ATTITUDE I SAID F-U. IUSUALLY DEAL WITH HARMAN MARINE IN ANAHIEM AND HAVE HAD THE BEST HELP AND ADVISE FROM THEM. YES THEY DID RIP U OFF ON USED PROP. YOU CAN GET NEW OF YOUR CHOICE FOR AROUND 240.00 BUCKS. DID YOU REPLACE WEAR RING THAT GOES IN PUMP AROUND IMPELLER? IF YOU HAVE TO MUCH CLEARANCE YOU WILL LOOSE ALOT OF THRUST FROM YOUR PUMP. GOOD LUCK.....

Hey riverlover,
    I've already said what I know about boats is a drop in the bucket to what all you guys know. I just throw in my 2 cents now and then.
    1000, was your wife around when you posted this? She reads that stuff, you better be lookin' over your shoulder.
    You know those E pumps are a whole different animal than the rest of the Berkley pump family. Yes all the componets are interchangable in the pump but you are dealing with that crapy inserted intake that, I'm sure you noticed, makes your Berkley look so different from everyone elses. We sold a ton of these little set ups at Advantage in the little 18' bubble deck because it gave a couple more inches room inside the boat. Personaly I'd rather have the 12JG and give up the room. I think you are very limited with your intake options but I'd check with some one like Shoemaker to see what can be done. I've never messed with an E pump except for building them in new boats. You would think there is more there (MPH) but I don't know.
    They were marketed as an economical little package and we even set them up with small block chevys.
    Hey, if it runs good and is trouble free, that's half the battle. Just enjoy the boat.
    [This message has been edited by old rigger (edited August 24, 2001).]

After rereading your post had a few more thoughts.
    The only way that set up will do 70 or even close to 70 with a stock 454 is being towed on a trailer.
    If you are turning 5000 with a PROPERLY set up pump and an A impeller, you are hauling ass, and the BBC is just starting to reach the RPM'S where some good HP can be generated.
    Sounds like wear ring problems, just a guess.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast