Thread: Friends don't let friends use Fram

Stab-n-Steer
    I know there has been some discussion in the past regarding the quality of oil filters but I never realized what a BIG difference there is. We have been running a Fram HP6 on the race boat and recently dissected one and compared it to a Wix 51222R. Man what a difference! The quality of the materials used and the construction was night and day. The housing was substantially stronger and the filter material volume was greater in the Wix...
    The Wix also has a "turbo" flow design that "spins" the oil though the filter helping to separate particulate from the oil... The Fram and the Wix are also the about the same price...
    If you can't find Wix brand, Napa filters are made by Wix. Just drop the first number off the Wix number and that is the Napa number. They are exactly the same filter...
    S&S

sanger rat
    What he said.

Almost better to run no filter than a Fram. I've had a few Fram horror tales myself.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    They Say That Wix Is Napa. The Napa Gold Filter And The Napa Silver Are The Same Filter With A Different Price!...bill.

Anyone heard about the K & N filters that are out??

superdave013
    Yo Stab, Have you ever cut open a Baldwin 279?

Stab-n-Steer
    SD,
    No, but I have been told that Baldwin's are good filters. However the P-55 had one burst during a race in Laughlin last year spraying hot oil on driver and rider. Fortunately, no serious burns...
    Stix818,
    The K&N's are good filters. I run 'em on the v-drive. I have never cut a racing filter open but I have on a regular one, and they are very well made...
    S&S

Jet City
    They Say That Wix Is Napa. The Napa Gold Filter And The Napa Silver Are The Same Filter With A Different Price!...bill.
    Napa Golds are made by Wix, I beleive the Silvers are imports, I have taken both apart, they are definately not the same filter.
    Update: I just read what that link said about the Napa Gold vs. Silver, It's been over a year since I looked at those (inside), but I have a hard time believing they are now the same product with a $2.00 price difference.

Stab-n-Steer
    Read this. http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html
    Interresting. All the "not recommended" filters are either Frams or made by Fram... enough said.
    S&S