Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Ford 6.0 Diesel Questions

Liberator TJ1984
    I just bought a new Ford F250SD 4x4 with the 6.0 Turbo Powerstroke.. Has anyone or is someone out there running Synthetic Oil in one of these ????
    From what I have seen Delo 400 or Shell Rotella is the preferred oil and we run this in our Shop vehicles at work , good luck so far ...200,000 mi.+
    Just considering going Synthetic due to what I know about Turbos and the High Heat they run at...
    and are there any other ISSUES with the 6.0's that I might watch out for ??? :hammer2:
    Thanks !
    Gopherrr

nascar97
    I have the duramax and i work for chevy im running amsoil syn. oil there is two guys in the shop that run it to they 15000 mile on yhe oil and they sent it in for analisis to amsoil and they told them that the oil had 95% life still I am also running the edge box on my truck and it hauls ass/

mach1alaska
    I have been a ford dealer tech for about 20 years, Up here in the arctic we use 0w30 synthetic oil, it realy helps them to start in the cold. At -60 deg F they wont start no matter how many heaters you have on them with standard oil. Make sure that you use CG4 rated oil, the powerstrokes use engine oil at over 3,000 psi to fire the injectors and if not CG4 it will foam and cause problems.
    Kevin

Liberator TJ1984
    Thanks Mach1A , is there a preferred Brand ?? I was considering Amsoil or Mobile 1

mach1alaska
    we usually use chevron or motorcraft.. I doubt that you will see the cold temps that we do up here so please don't use 0w30.. shell oil is also rated for the D.I.T. diesel

victorfb
    NAPA sells the Amzoil synthetic diesel/marine oil in the 2.5 gal jugs. ive used it in marine and like it. my $.02

pleasantcat
    since i work for dodge but have an '03 stroke i put valvoline cummins blue in it. i'm going to check on this cg4 rating as i do have an odd chugging when i start it cold. i hope nothings hurt :cry:

Snowboat
    Use Shell Rotella T 15W-40. Works in diesel engines for thirty thousand hours (four plus years straight, average hourly running time). Your not in a cold climate. Figure the cost of running synthetic and change it at 5k, or 7.5k. Ford has said to change your oil at 3k. What horses$it; it holds almost 15 quarts. Their new engine has the bugs worked out of it. Ask the theives at the dealership what they will charge to install an air filter.
    Quote "I have the duramax and i work for chevy im running amsoil syn. oil there is two guys in the shop that run it to they 15000 mile on yhe oil and they sent it in for analisis to amsoil and they told them that the oil had 95% life still I am also running the edge box on my truck and it hauls ass/"
    Oil analysis is a trend science. Sending a sample in a few times means nothing. All labs have their own parameters and most check various metals with vast degrees of accuracy. Accuracy usually comes from fleet evaluation. It will pick up fuel dilution and glycol infiltration. The metals values, that are acceptable long term, require many samples for each type of engine, to achieve a baseline. The phrase "the oil had 95% life" can only be referring to the additive package in the oils. The rule of thumb, in the mining industry, is that the additive package is good until it is lessened by 30% from its starting value. 400,000 miles with Rotella T in diesels and at least a million plus, in boats and cars. After all its not a race engine, even if its chipped. They are derated, beyond belief, from their power potential.
    The only reason to run synthetic in a Powerstroke is for your own satisfaction.

Fiat48
    I'd listen to the mining industry. They care more about that equipment running 24/7 than the cost of maintainance.
    That said, I am pushing 250,000 on a Powerstroke on Castol 15-40 diesel oil and never a valve cover off. Nothing against Rotella..the only reason this thing has the Castrol is...that is what the original owner used while he had it for 200,000. I figured why should I change now.

Liberator TJ1984
    Thanks Alot guys for the input :idea:
    As stated , I run the Shell Rotella in our fleet of trucks at work. I have them setup for Oil changes at 400 hrs, this is in an extreme oilfield use,and usually have lots of Idle Time while on standby, we send off the oil samples at changes. Rotella holds up very well from what i have seen...on this basis Ford says change the oil at 3000mi. , but at that I only have 56 hrs. at that point!! on the engine so that is why I was askin' about the synthetic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast