Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decision Decision!

Ex PSI Canyon
    I have a BBC Blown ready to go into a boat. I have my Mandella which already has a blown stroker SB. The boat porpoises about every 20 ft so I have to put pressure on the pedal and keep the nose down, I'm scrubbing mph big time. I have been told by a couple guys in the know that I have to 1. put the prop deeper in the water "further back
    2. cut the prop shaft and put the prop as close to the strut as I can get.
    I'm thouroughly confused now. I am told today that after I put this big horsepower motor in it the porpoiseing will amplify! I still have a lot to learn and am only scratching the surface of what is to be learned of setting up a flat. So here are my options. Spend countless hours moving motor, strut location, prop change etc...
    leave the boat alone maybe cut the prop shaft" shaft sticks out from strut over an inch" boat currently works fine with a little pressure on the pedal, just is'nt perfect and that's how I like my stuff.
    Trade the boat complete and running to someone that has a flattie that is set up for big hp, preferrably circle flattie. " hull only" At this point I have too much on my plate with the Quickshot Hydro" and a Hemi I'm putting together. If anyone can offer suggestions "I'm listening" I love this Mandella but dont have the patience or the time to start over on a boat that is beautiful and complete. Thanks, Matt

scottys
    Trade it for RV with a brass pole

Ex PSI Canyon
    My wife wants to test the brass pole first!

dmontzsta
    Call Jim Wilkes at Wilkes Marine and see what he says.

Ex PSI Canyon
    Thats o.k!

superdave013
    Trade the boat complete and running to someone that has a flattie that is set up for big hp, preferrably circle flattie. " hull only" At this point I have too much on my plate with the Quickshot Hydro" and a Hemi I'm putting together. If anyone can offer suggestions "I'm listening" I love this Mandella but dont have the patience or the time to start over on a boat that is beautiful and complete. Thanks, Matt
    The Mandella is what it is. Sounds like you are asking something out of it that it's just not. That's a really nice boat. You should find a good home for it and get a hull that's a better fit for your needs.
    Just my .02

Sanger D
    I know the feeling, my sanger does the same thing,"did".1st, how long is the boat? 2nd,wheres your gear box located in the boat,3rdprop distance between strut barrel and prop.heres what helped me! my hull is 17 10" true flat,I put the prop 7/16s from the barrel,"oh its a 10 degree" that dist. is about normal.make sure you,ve got the right prop for your boat,I,ve got a ole menkens elephant ear 11,1/4, 14 2 blade,works bitchin for old flattys,that blown small block should have plenty of ponys but you might need more torque to help carry the nose more.If your only runnin in the 80,s or so, dont be afraid to put a little plate in it,if you,ve got a lot of plate in now then you need some more poop inthe motor department!!.my gaer box sits right behind my front saets at about 83",s off the transom, this was stock location from sanger,so thats why my boat porp.so check the distance from box to transom,if its this short and your boat is as long or longer than mine,YOU NEED MORE POWER,or lots of plate old small flats are a big task to make smooth,fast and take quick sets,I,m still learning from all these guys in here ,lots to take in.just remember do ONE THING AT A TIME,I would make it looser than sh@!#t with the plates then start goin down with till you have a pretty close normal spot on them,then put your prop a little less than a half in. from your strut barrel, then find a prop that is for that style of boat or close as you can to it,18,s or 15,s even maybe 12,s will prob. help if its a lower HP appl.Mine still porps a little bit but thats really not going to go away,but it only does it about every 100 feet or so at top speed,wich is where im told it would.otherwise i have to move the gaerbox up,"screw that"!! hope this helps,it helped mine a bunch,I can hammer the thing and now it somewhat behaves,good luck, HEY call this number 559 299 2328 its harold kindsvaters # awesome dude whos full of info,write down what he says he can help you alot
    Sanger D

Fiat48
    The Mandella is what it is. Sounds like you are asking something out of it that it's just not. That's a really nice boat. You should find a good home for it and get a hull that's a better fit for your needs.
    Just my .02
    I second that.

BGMAN203
    Just my .02
    I will go ahead and THIRD that.

Not saying this will work, But this is what I did with my flat that was doing the same thing.
    With good spring presure pulling the plates up, you will need an up stop to keep the plate steady at speed.
    Simply adjust the plates down until the boat stays steady at speed. I would stard with 1/2 turns on the trunbuckles. Slowly creap up on it. My boat seemed to do best when it moved around just a little bit on the top end.
    Here's my thery on why. With a heavier flat you need a fair amount of power to carry the nose. The nose gets to high then falls. When it falls the nose eather will hunt, or the nose is pushed back up by the water hitting the hull. If you can get the boat to stay steady you will trap some air & get the whole deal to lift. It is rare to find a true flat that will dance on the tail through a ru n, it takes a bunch of power. My deal would ride on the tail to about 75 mph, then it would sort of roll over onto the belly, but stay free. I've got some video of my boat after it rolled over, You can clearly see the edge of the plate behind the boat.
    Now, my old boat had everything in the wrong place, the motor was way to far back & the v-drive was over 20" to far back. Essentialy everyone who knew boats told me to move the motor & v-drive to make it work & they were right. I just was not willing to tear my boat apart at that time. So I wanted to make the best with what I had.
    Heavy boat, BBF spinning 6K, 18% gears, A huge eared 2 blade 85 mph on gps.
    Again, not saying this will work for you, But wanted to share my experience.
    Morg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast